Seeding A Friend's New Tank, Any Suggestions?

Jt_737

Hello all,

So as the title suggests, I've got a friend who's new into the extremely addictive world of fish keeping. ;) He saw my 10 gallon saltwater and soon after bought a tank of his own. I'm guiding him along at the moment, advising on what to buy and all that.

His is a simple set up with a few easy corals and a couple of clownfish - a 10 gallon similar to mine.

More to the point, I was thinking of giving him a bit of my sand in order to seed his own sand band. Now, this is all theoretical, nothing has been set up. I've never seeded another person's tank before (only my multiple freshwater tanks.)

What's the most effective way to do it? Would anyone recommend it? Should I give him some of my water and some filter media along with the sand, too?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks :D

I have a 6gal SW nano tank and just love it. It's been running for roughly 1.5 years and stable as hell.

Seeding a SW tank can be done easily. Some sand or some rock either will work and just throw them in his prepared tank (ie proper salt content/temp etc). THE MOST IMPORTANT part if you have any nuisance thingies don't give him any of your issues. Aiptasia and Bryopsis are majors to avoid while make sure you give him Bristleworms and Feather dusters if you've got. If you've got coraline take some scrapings and just dump that into his tank. Don't need to transplant water nor filter material. If you've got beneficial algae such as Chaeto that would be great to give him a starter. It might not take off because the SW system is so new but at least it will help seed a new tank.

Easiest to pass this along and take a look yourself.

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

One last tip if you've got Cyano...please don't give him anything from your tank! That is a nothing but a big headache being passed along.

• 2 weeks later...