Breeding Farlowella Gracilis

vince0

Hello Folks,

I was given a few of these fish a while back when a fellow hobbyist was shutting his tank down. I lost afew members and was down to 2, 1 large male, and a small female. Today, I noticed the fish in the corner, I peaked around and saw this!

20141118_113021_zpscs30p8m0.jpg

I believe they are farlowella Gracillis, Twig Catfish.

I will let you know if anything develops from this. And here I though I would have to buy a special cave (which is coming with the anfelfins group order) guess I was wrong.

More updates to follow

Vince

Edited by vince0

The male abandoned the eggs at the end of day 2. I used a razor blade and a fine mesh net to remove them from the tank, and placed them into a hatching bucket. I use 5 gallons home depot type buckets with an air stone and submersible heater preset at 78f. I used peroxide right away before placing the eggs in the water, by the next morning I could see eggs starting to fungus so I did a heavy dose of methylene blue. This morning, when I flashed a light into the bucket, over 20 eggs had larvae moving around within the eggs.

Hopefully they hatch soon!!

The black dots with tails are farlowella fry. Not all of the eggs have hatched yet. One fry that was born prematurely has passed. I don't know if you will be able to make them out, but Sterbai cory fry hatched last night and this morning as well.

20141125_122631_zpsfcntftsq.jpg

the last of them hatched today. Other than a few premature hatchers that have since passed away, I have a group of 20ish miniature copies of the parents with big bellies. I dropped an algea wafer in there for today, tonight ill go pick up some organic cucumber or something.

I'm down to 4 fry, and they seem fairly healthy. I'm thinking I messed up by not having high enough flow in the tank, combined with not enough food (they didn't go after algea wafers or herbivore pellets). They also skipped the piece of lettuce I put in there.

20141202_122542_zpsvpeqsc62.jpg

You could try to grind a bit of food to dust and deliver it with a straw after you suspend it in a bit of water. I have used a syringe attached to airline as well.....you could deliver it in front of them. You could buy a 10 cc syringe at any vet I would think.

I lost most of the fry in the first two days, and then I increased the airflow to the sponge filter. I uuse powdered fry foods mixed together, and have been dusting the tank. They have been living in the 5 gallon tank for a week now and seem okay, although they don't hang out on the gravel at all. They mostly hang out near the top of the tank.

Edited by vince0