Breeding Farlowella Gracilis

vince0

Baby farlowellas are generally raised on Romaine lettuce which has been boiled for exactly 2 minutes. This time seems to be quite critical -- much more or less and the young ignore the lettuce. A treated leaf is then hung from the top of the tank against the glass and the young will attach to it, hang there and feed. Over the years I have seen this done several times with considerable success.

The male spawned again last Friday and today I can start to see the larva moving around within the egg casing.

Here is a picture of dad with the eggs

KHhBCuB.jpg

A picture if the hatching bucket with viable farlowella eggs and rineloricaria eggs.

sS0nPkW.jpg

And finally a picture of the first fry. I am down to three, however they are doing great I think I'll be moving them to a larger tank soon

nqJZYCb.jpg

Gettin to be an expert now.

I'll have to see them sunday :)

The original three are down to one long fish. Its about 1.5 inches and growing out fairly steadily with my rainbows. The next batch is doing great, I have over 20 kicking it in their own tank, eating pre-soaked lettuce.

The male actually spawned again, but this time I want to see the brood care.

fsfyllNl.jpg

A close examination of the parents pictures revealed the true nature of the problem. Twig catfish like heck. Knowing how miserly you feed your fish Vince I realized that you had a pair of Tiger Oscars which had withered away to the point they were now barely clinging to life on the very edge of the Great Beyond. To avert an unspeakable tragedy, I'm donating to you a quality bicycle pump complete with a shiny silver injection needle. After a careful, skillful insertion followed by lengthy periods of frenzied pumping you should be able to restore them to their optimum size. Two months of 24 hr. round the clock feeding will solidify their gains and allow them to restore their glowing colours. Nothing to do then but recline in your Lazy Boy Rocker and watch your pair of stunning 24" Tiger Oscars cruise around in their 20 gallon tank. Guaranteed, you'll be the talk of the town. Farowella Gracilis? yeah shure. Next thing we know, you'll be shrivelling a pair of Jaguar Cichlids and annointing them with a fancy name like Rineloricaria Parva. Give us a break!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Happy Boxing Day!

Edited by hobbyist

Im really curious what end do I hook up the bicycle pump? would I need one of those needle attachment (the ones for blowing up footballs and soccer balls?)If im mistreating an animal, I really appreciate knowing. Thanks! Ill try and get these jaguar cichlids and tiger Oscars fed, and hopefully back up to monster sized!

Just a little nudge in the ribs to hopefully get you laughing Vince. I just wish that my tanks and fish were in half the shape yours are. Santa came down the chimney last night and landed with a full view of my set up. He shot back up the chimney 10 times faster than he came down. Last thing I heard him yell as he headed north was " i've seen it all now and I wish I hadn't !"

Good luck with those catfish.Nice to see them getting bred locally again.