120G Planted

jeditait

Well lots has happened in a week since i last posted but i was able to finally solve the sock clogging and my cloudy tank issues.

I was messing around with my purigen reactor trying to get the purigen to stay fluidized, ended up plumbing the reactor inline with the return line to the tank and ended up dumping 250ml of purigen into my tank! In a panicked state i then attempted to vac the purigen out and created a mess (purigen being very light doesn't really vac up but i sure did get lots of dirt in the bucket).

I decided that the purigen rolling around the substrate bugged me enough to completely rip apart the tank. I pulled out all the fish and plants, drained the tank, mixed the substrate and hid all the purigen, re-added the plants, added a gravel cap, filled it back up and put the fish back in.

With the cap in place the tank cleared in 24 hours and my filter socks have remained relatively clean.

DB24DBBC-EAE5-4462-B23A-5331EE730468_zps

During this process i re-did the plumbing as well and moved the purigen reactor adding unions and ball valves allowing me to mess with the system a little easier. This is still a work in progress, as im still having issues keeping the purigen fluidized in the canister, ill post pics once i have a solution that im happy with sharing :)

Looks very nice. This makes me want to buy a CO2 setup for my 90g tank.

Filter socks plugging up means they're doing their job. I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep rotating them in and out as they clog. I have to change the socks on my tank every 36 hours (they're overflowing at that point). I think I also read somewhere that Purigen isn't supposed to be fluidized? I may be wrong about that one though.

If they were ramshorn snails instead of MTS I'd probably ask for as many as you'd want to give away. My puffer would love an escargot feast but the MTS are too hard for him :)

Prior to moving to this tank I had tons of ramshorns but they have all but dissapeared in the last couple weeks. If I get an abundance I'll let you know!

Since adding the gravel cap my socks aren't clogging nearly as often, just did a WC and cleaned out the sump and the silt buildup is nearly non existent :)

The whole purigen reactor experiment was a lot more work than I had intended it to be, and most definitely not required for this tank! I had the time and resources to play around and decided this was as good a time as any to give it a shot. From what I've read, mostly on reef or discus forums, the purigen being fluidized ensures that all the purigen is coming into contact with the water so it can do its job effectively. The problem I'm having is getting enough pressure into the canister to keep it all suspended without the purigen sticking to the filter.

I plumbed the setup so it could be removed and moved to another system one day, when I decide to go down the discus path. At that point in time I'll worry about setting it up with its own pump and tweaking the system to keep the purigen suspended, at this point in time it's not worth the additional hassle on this system lol.

looks fantastic! nice work...

• 2 weeks later...