Chilatherina (Sp) Upper Tor River

Rainbowric

Well it is about time that I started a thread on this new species of Rainbowfish. It has been around for a couple of years but was only brought into Canada December of 2013. At that time this species which Gary Lange collected had not been released anywhere in North America. Today it is only owned by 3 people in Alberta ... 4 in Canada. I have been, as Gary slow to release this fish until more is learned about it scientifically. But recently I did release a pair to a local breeder here in Calgary so there should be some young available soon.

I rather doubt that this fish will ever see the LFS. It is a little shy ... well shy compared to other Chilatherina's and blends in quite well with it's surroundings. If only had a male .. it would not be an enjoyable fish. However when it flashes for the females or spars with another male over a female it can be quite entertaining!

The 2 pairs that I have are originally from Gary Lange and would now be about 14 months old now ...Christmas of 2014. They are about the same age as the Chilatherina alleni "Wapoga" that I posted in the alleni thread. Pcike them both up from Gary at the same time. They are in with a couple of younger pairs of Chilatherina bleheri (nicely bred and raised by AA geleen) that might be 3 months younger then them.. So they are a little bigger. There are a number of similarities to the C. bleheri which you will see as I will post a picture of them both together.

They are in a tank with a dark blue background, dark Eco-complete substrate, and a couple of anubias plants with black hair algae hanging off them. This first picture is of a male feeling well after a water change and a good feeding!

Chilatherina (species) Upper Tor River

C_Upper_Tor_River_d_zps01610b05.jpg

C_Upper_Tor_River_b_zps7a9c80b2.jpg

He is just starting to show some interest in a female and you will notice some blue in his chest and the tips of his fins brightning up.

C_Upper_Tor_River_zps8d2fc99d.jpg

Now he is starting to show his stuff for the lady!

C_Upper_Tor_River_g_zps88424213.jpg

But what is this ....competition !

C_Upper_Tor_River_c_zpsabdc2365.jpg

another C. sp Upper Tor River ? No a young Chilatherina bleheri figures he should get into some of this action!

C_Upper_Tor_River_h_zpsdba0d025.jpg

however the bleheri did not stay long ...maybe he relized that it was not his girl .... they are quite similar, except the Upper Tor girl has a little more color and a lateral band.

C_Upper_Tor_River_e_zpsb5931d36.jpg

For more information about this great little fish which was on the cover of a number of fish magazines in Europe ... click on the link below...

http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2906

Hope you enjoyed!

Cheers

Ric

--------------------------------
"Melanotaenia boesemani from Lake Aytinjo"

M_boes_Aytinjo_t.jpg

The Aytinjo variant does have stronger colours!

Edited by Rainbowric