Leaking Api Nexx Filter!

Tracyp

So I acquired a 55 gallon tank complete with a number of different kinds of cichlids and everything to go with them including an API nexx filter. I've had it for about 3 months now and it runs great except I did a filter change tonight and it decided it didn't want to seal anymore.

I've heard of the same issues with these filters but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

As it is I ran out in a panic and bought an Ehiem ecco 60 but when I got back the nexx was no longer leaking. I'm going on holidays for a week and am a bit nervous of leaving it if it's faulty.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for the video! I only have the one module and from what I can see it seems to be leaking from the two outlets on the base that connect with the canisters. I think it might be that an o ring was twisted or something and not allowing it to seal properly. Ill check it the seals out tomorrow and do what you advised with the vaseline, right now it seems ok.....go figure

I have the api nexx filter as well. I had read about leaking problems from the amazon reviews but I had a problem free first 6 months or so with it. Once or twice I noticed it leaking after I cleaned it and realized that I hadn't twisted the top on properly. Something about not getting the top sealed quite right seemed to change the pressure and allow it to leak a bit for the top, but more significantly from the base. Once the top was opened up again and resealed more carefully if worked great.

I had a far more significant leak days after a water change, several months ago. I thought I had resealed it correctly, and didn't notice it leaking. Several days later we realized that the hardwood floor around the tank was saturated, the dry wall was wet and we had water running into the basement. This had been slowly happening for days and never noticed it! Terrible. Anyways, based on my experience, these guys have to be very carefully resealed and be under diligent observation post-water change to make sure they are not leaking. It's a shame when they are such nice, quiet filters. Long story short, I found the key to be properly resealing the top, making sure the bottom is seated correctly and watching them like a hawk after you'd done any maintenance. You may want to read some of the more negative amazon reviews just to hear how other people have solved their problems with the filter.... some of them had some good suggestions.

Thanks for all the help! I checked it today and there was still a very small leak. I opted to just switch it out to the Ehiem Ecco this way I could get rid of the HOB I had going as well as this one is rated to 60 Gallons and my tank is about 55 plus it's more energy efficient! :)

Now what to do with the Nexx, I like it but don't fully trust it....

• 3 weeks later...

I learned to keep all my canister filters in a bucket, it's just more relaxing to KNOW that even if I have a little leak it will be caught and it makes maintenance simpler as there is no worry about drips and drops from the hose disconnects.

If you are worried about leak detection you can put one of those blue paper shop towels from Canadian Tire in the bottom of the bucket, they darken up quite intensely when they get wet so it's much easier to tell if you've got any leakage.