Tank Imbalance Question

kukayla

So I tossed together a 90g planted about 6 weeks ago. Have been dosing PPS-pro macro and micro.

https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro

I started off with dosing 5 ml of metricide daily, slowly upped it to 15 ml now. Lightning is 3x54 watt T5HO for 10 hours. I even left one of the lights out, was scared of algae. Filtration is Sunsun HW-304B canister, cascade 300, and two 5" poret cubes. Temp is 25-26. I have the API master kit, Ammo=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=10-20, PH=8.

Ideally, I would like to pick up a full pressurized co2 system after the new year. I've had brown algae from new tank syndrome, but it's gone now. Recently though, staghorn algae had started to take hold. There is also some fuzz algae growing on the micro swords and a little bit of brush algae near the top of the tank.

Picture of actual tank about a week ago. I've removed the micro swords and brush algae since then.

b1c4d26f-7f13-4248-802c-43cb7890035a_zps

Any suggestions on how to combat the stag algae and balance everything out?

Is 8 your target pH? That's pretty basic and I would suggest lowering it unless you have something specialized for basic conditions.

You may also be imbalanced towards algae growth because while your tank is nice and green, the plants are still quite small and of minimal total biomass.

Ian Kanda AHT

I would like the pH to be around 7 but the water here is brutal. My lowest tank is 7.6 with lots of driftwood and the tank is quite old. I am not a big fan of adding peat moss so will have to wait for pressurized co2 to lower it some more.

I agree. Will wait a bit for the plants to catch up and see how everything goes.

Evan