Where Can I Find Large Pieces Of Driftwood

jeditait

I am stating to plan out my 230G rebuild and am wondering where i can find very large pieces of driftwood, 2-3 feet long about a foot wide and preferably with branches.

Looking online i haven't been able to find a suitable supplier with what i am imagining in my head and I've read online its possible to find your own and make it aquarium safe (takes quite a bit of time to accomplish this though).

Wondering if any one out there has retailer suggestions or has gathered their own wood for aquarium purposes.

Thanks!

Check the riverbanks along the bow river. Look for weathered wood with little to no rot and loose bark or no bark, I come across a ton of it when doing canoe trips. Another place might be fish creek park or kananaskis country. Some of the more interesting pieces I have found come from roots of uprooted trees rather than the above ground woody tissues.

I will look in my wood pile at the shop to see if I can find something to suit your needs. Wood cut earlier this spring should have loose enough bark.

I might even have some plants for you too!

Check the riverbanks along the bow river. Look for weathered wood with little to no rot and loose bark or no bark, I come across a ton of it when doing canoe trips. Another place might be fish creek park or kananaskis country. Some of the more interesting pieces I have found come from roots of uprooted trees rather than the above ground woody tissues.

I will look in my wood pile at the shop to see if I can find something to suit your needs. Wood cut earlier this spring should have loose enough bark.

I might even have some plants for you too!

Thank you that would be awesome!

Is it worth looking for driftwood on the banks of the river at this time of year or is it best to wait for spring? I want to start accumulating the wood now so i can get the rebuild going mid-end of January :) Patience definitely not a virtue! However i don't want to spend big $$$ at Pisces to get the scape that I'm trying to go for :)

Spoke with the guy from manzanita-driftwood yesterday. Currently he has a special on, buy 2 get third piece free, pieces range from about $15 - $40 (for 1-4 foot pieces, he has other pieces worth quite a bit more). Shipping is $40 a box and he can fit about 8 pieces into a box. Doesn't seem so bad.... :)

http://www.manzanita-driftwood.com/

I ordered 3 branchlike pieces from here all came in great shape... however there customer service after they recieve payment is the worst i ever had.

was way cheaper here though with shipping then buying at a LFS. they have pics of the actual piece you receive which is nice also.

just be warned about possible crap customer service after payment if you order via them.

Ordered on a Thursday and said he shopson ffollowing Mon or Tuesday.

My notification came 3 weeks later that was just shipped. Received about 2.5 weeks after that so in total was around 6 weeks from order date.

Like i said very nice driftwood but i thought i got dupped but i did get eventually. So if no delay to get packed and shipped takes 4weekish.

Stuff i got with shipping was around 110$ if bought in LFS would cost over 250$ for sure. So wait is worth it i guess

Ok, i ordered a couple boxes (15 pieces, he said he would throw in some freebies). If it takes 6 weeks that perfect timing, basement renos start mid January be done by end of January and I can then begin the rebuild in a fresh basement.

As most of these pieces are long branches I'm still looking for ground cover, foreground accent pieces that will be suitable for Moss, Riccia and Anubias to be attached to.

Once I've gone through the pieces and decided what items i wont be using ill be sure to spread the love and post the remaining pieces for Sale/Trade.