German Rams & Bolivian Rams

jeditait

I have 4 German Rams and 5 Bolivian Rams and have recently noticed that the bolivians are getting chased all over the tank by the germans, one of the bolivian rams has been hiding up in the top corner of the tank by the return lines and he isn't looking too good.

There are plenty of natural hiding places, plants & rock structures, but they dont seem to hide in the spaces provided.

Any suggestions on what i can do to help reduce the stress on the bolivian rams would be greatly appreciated!

Which species was just introduced? In a tank that size and considering that blue rams are half the size of Bolivian rams I find it surprising that they would be intimidated by them.

I have many Bolivian Rams in my planted with much larger species, no issues. I don't think there is much to do right now, let them all get used to each other.

The Bolivian Rams were the latest entry into the tank, however i took out all the fish and plants and did quite a bit of work on the tank and reintroduced all the fish back into the tank at the same time. That was over a week ago.

ALL of the German Rams colors are quite bright fins spread out, 1 of the bolivian rams has some nice colors and doesnt seem to back down from the germans. The other 3 are in hiding, woke up this morning and found one floating.

Did water parameter checks this morning:

ph 7.6

gh 12

kh 6

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5ppm

Like uwish said. It should settle out. Maybe put better separations in the tank to better carve out territories and multiple nesting areas. My Bolivians always layer at the back of the tank in a corner of a very busy tank. I was amazed to see free swimmers. I thought they were hiding. Nope, they were getting it on...good luck

Thank you! I took the bolivians out of the main tank for the day and fed them, once they were free swimming fins out i put them back in the main tank and shut off the lights for the night. This morning they are looking pretty good ill keep an eye on them.

Are South American Cichlids like Africans where you can lower the stress on each fish by increasing the number cichlids in the tank? I would love to add some Apistogramma's to the tank if its advisable.

Edited by jeditait

Well after a few days back in the tank together everyone seems to be getting along just fine!

I just noticed that the German Rams have paired up and one of my Anubias leaves are covered in eggs :) Things are looking up :)

417969C2-94D5-4CAA-9710-EBD32EE09BFD_zps

Edited by jeditait

sometimes it just takes a few hours for the old occupants to get used to the knew ones...