Christmas Present?

Vimmer

As stated in another thread we have lost a snail over Chistmas. Purchased this little guy in August as part of cleanup crew for 36 gallon bow front. He quickly grew to the point where he could no longer fully tuck himself into his shell and would rest with approximately 1/4" of his body sticking out. Wasn't really an issue until I tried cutting back the food supply for tetras in tank in hopes of keeping nitrates down. When packing up to make day trip over Christmas I noticed one antennae was looking shorter than the other but never thought much of it. Upon returning home two nights later, one day feeding missed I saw his shell was empty and then saw a group of fish hovering over a spot in the tank darting down to gravel bed and back up but not moving away. Used net to scatter the crowd to find a small white carcass. Not much left of the poor little guy at that point but removed him and gave proper swirling burial. Thankfully it was the golden one and not Turbo the ivory that my girl likes to kiss on his foot through tank glass. Had hoped to replace over the weekend with "red onion" nerites I'd spotted at a LFS but they were all sold. Oh well. Anyone in Calgary have some Trumpet snails, or nerites that may be available in March? Also interested in rabbit snails but have a source for them although one stop shopping would be easier.

• 1 month later...