Tropheus In Calgary Water

piedpiper

I was wondering who here keeps tropheus in calgary? since our tap water's ph is below optimal ph for keeping tropheus I would like to now what members do to their tank water. Do you add Tanganyikan buffer or nothing at all. I've read that not using any buffers and having stable parameters can be better than having possible fluctuations in parameters with every water change.

Your thoughts please.

I have a thriving colony in Edmonton, which has similar water to Calgary. I do 40-60% WCs every week, and everyone is happy.

Thanks , I'm realatively new to tropheus I've kept individuals with mixed Mbuna but never as a group. I'm coming along nicely with my fishless cycle and will soon be ready to order my group of hopefully either moliro Reds , red rainbows or ilangi. I plan on keeping a group of 18/20 in a 75 gal. Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my Tropheus tank. They always spawn at the base of the largest lone rock. I only feed them once per day, so the females never carry to term, but I bought 35 Ndole Bay from a member who kept them in a 75. I sold 12 of the youngest when I got the Ikolas. I'm now sitting at 30 adults, and once I get my auto-feeder, I should see the colony grow. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...