Overpopulated With Pond Snails - Solutions Please

Shiloh27

My 36 gallon peaceful community tank is overpopulated with snails. I have been doing the lettuce traps and have reduced the numbers drastically. I am now wanting to find something to keep the numbers manageable. Looking at assassin snails or loaches? Not sure which route to go. Which is going to coexist best with the other tank mates? I have mollies, platys, guppies and swords.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

I would just starve the tank. Spot feed your fish carefully. I love snails and actually over feed at times on purpose if I don't see tonnes of them everywhere. Most people would think that's nuts and I get it. But all it takes is a week or so of low feeding for things to go from high population to normal again I find. You could also try a pea puffer. The guppy's wouldn't defend themselves to well from him, but the rest would probably be ok. Assassin snails work well. Or a couple apple snails would liven up the tank and out compete pond snails for a lot of the waste as well if you did not want to starve the tank.

Edited by Percilus

Assassin snails will be less invasive, and you won't really have to do anything to accommodate them. I tend to agree that snails keep themselves in check in response to food levels. But besides waisted food, not much hard done unless you are dumping gobs and gobs of food in.

• 4 months later...