Stocking Ideas

EowynJane

Since no one seems to want my male dwarf puffer I am looking for ideas on what I could keep with him. Personality wise he is very shy... I almost never see him and (don't shoot me) he got along with the other male dp I had in the tank (now deceased). Keeping 2 males was an accident but I think they got along well because there were no females and the only other fish in the tank was a BN pleco.

The tank is a 20 gallon planted, with just the DP, BN and a bunch of cherry shrimp. I was thinking of dwarf gouramis but I really don't know anything about their personality. It doesn't bother me if whatever I put in there eats the shrimp, they were meant to be live food for the DP's and my tanks are over flowing with them.

I know that most dwarf gourami are very territorial. I would steer clear of putting a gourami with a puffer. It could work but between the puffer being a nipper/territorial and the gourami being territorial I don't see it ending well. You would most likely see 2 injured fish over time with one succumbing to stress eventually.

Edited by Percilus

Thanks for the insight on the gouramis, I appreciate it.

I've been keeping DP's for the past 8 years or so. I was thinking I'd like to do something different with the tank. Also I can't find any puffers.

I saw pretty much every type of fresh water puffer for sale at big als last week. If I remember correctly you have a pea puffer. They had a tonne of those for sale for $4 each. Aquarium central has them quite often as well I'd give them a call to see if they had any. Less of a drive for us in the west.