Advice On Led Lighting

Hey Everyone,

I currently have a 125 Gallon All Male African Peacock & Hap Cichlid show tank and I'm planning on investing in some good quality LED Lighting System. I'm looking for something that will really show how beautiful and colourful these cichlids are.

What brand and quality would you guys suggest? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carmelo

From my research awhile back I would say your going to want to go with led's made by either Aquaray/finnex/current USA if you intend to grow anything that has a mid-high light requirement. If the led your looking at is cheaper than those brands by a good margin chances are it's absolute crap as they are the good mid priced/affordable led's out there. If money isn't a concern talk to Ron on the forum here or many others who have the pricey led set ups for info on those brands. If not I'm not sure what would be best for a low/mid priced led set up just to make the fish colour pop. The easiest way to aquire aquaray is through a place in BC called J&L aquatics, for current usa probably aquarium central or big als. Finnex chooses not to sell in Canada so you will need to jump through some hoops to get them but a lot of solid keepers here swear by them so it might be worth the hassle.

I would talk to Aquarium Illusions in west Edmonton if your looking to spend a bit more they probably have some of the LED lights I mentioned above or better I don't know about there as they specialize in salt water tanks.

For a nano set up I've heard good things about http://www.amazon.ca/light-clip-dolphin-curve-adjustable/dp/B009P05DL2%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB009P05DL2

But for something small I've had good success with the little 13 CFL fluval that comes with the flora tank 1 or 2 of them on a 10 gallon or down is decent light. They are much cheaper than that dolphin and don't use much power.

Edited by Percilus

From my research awhile back I would say your going to want to go with led's made by either Aquaray/finnex/current USA if you intend to grow anything that has a mid-high light requirement. If the led your looking at is cheaper than those brands by a good margin chances are it's absolute crap as they are the good mid priced/affordable led's out there. If money isn't a concern talk to Ron on the forum here or many others who have the pricey led set ups for info on those brands. If not I'm not sure what would be best for a low/mid priced led set up just to make the fish colour pop. The easiest way to aquire aquaray is through a place in BC called J&L aquatics, for current usa probably aquarium central or big als. Finnex chooses not to sell in Canada so you will need to jump through some hoops to get them but a lot of solid keepers here swear by them so it might be worth the hassle.

I would talk to Aquarium Illusions in west Edmonton if your looking to spend a bit more they probably have some of the LED lights I mentioned above or better I don't know about there as they specialize in salt water tanks.

For a nano set up I've heard good things about http://www.amazon.ca/light-clip-dolphin-curve-adjustable/dp/B009P05DL2%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB009P05DL2

But for something small I've had good success with the little 13 CFL fluval that comes with the flora tank 1 or 2 of them on a 10 gallon or down is decent light. They are much cheaper than that dolphin and don't use much power.

Thank you! I'm going to do some research on those type of brands.

Follow the reviews on amazon, if you go with the general consensus it's the best guide you can find.

I honestly don't agree with that at all :)

Your input is appreciated however the fact that you disagree is exactly why I find review databases to be one of the best indicators for the quality of a product. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and when you look at review databases like marinedepot, amazon, etc you’re getting tens, hundreds, thousands of people reporting their experiences. You can waste your time and compare all the technical specifications and manufacturer statements available but none of those are going to tell you about the design faults. I know little about salt water products but with 5 minutes of research I can tell you that Aquaray is likely crap and that you should go for Aquatic Life, Finnex or Current USA (these guys seem to really have it down). To narrow it down further, I would look up particular models that suit your needs and budget then consider the number of reviews, overall rating and reports of faults (lowest rating comments) across as many sites / databases you can find. I use this process of shopping for all of my tanks, computer parts and whatever I buy online and have yet to been steered wrong. Hope this helps!

Follow the reviews on amazon, if you go with the general consensus it's the best guide you can find.

I honestly don't agree with that at all :)

Your input is appreciated however the fact that you disagree is exactly why I find review databases to be one of the best indicators for the quality of a product. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and when you look at review databases like marinedepot, amazon, etc you’re getting tens, hundreds, thousands of people reporting their experiences. You can waste your time and compare all the technical specifications and manufacturer statements available but none of those are going to tell you about the design faults. I know little about salt water products but with 5 minutes of research I can tell you that Aquaray is likely crap and that you should go for Aquatic Life, Finnex or Current USA (these guys seem to really have it down). To narrow it down further, I would look up particular models that suit your needs and budget then consider the number of reviews, overall rating and reports of faults (lowest rating comments) across as many sites / databases you can find. I use this process of shopping for all of my tanks, computer parts and whatever I buy online and have yet to been steered wrong. Hope this helps!

Most salt forums are sponsored. Do your research outside of north america and you'll get the opinion that finnex is crap. Also current usa is not going to be growing any baby tears any time soon. I generally go by the rule of buy in the middle. I'm not going to have this debate over again as I already have had this discussion on this forum. Your 5 minutes of research is flawed in my opinion but hey it's your money. He doesn't even want to grow anything I don't think so he could buy anything and come away happy.

For best spectrum Ecotech make a wonderful produce the Radion LED can be controlled wireless with a reeflink add on. go to www.ecosmartlive.com and check them out. the programming is very easy you can simulate dusk to dawn even moonlight, thunderstorm even cloud cover if running multiple lights. The colors are fully adjustable too get them just right. Of course they have a app as well to control from phone.