Color Of Substrate

Lilcrysbgirl

Trying to decide what to put on the bottom of my new tank but not sure if I want dark or light. I am wondering if it is completely preference and lighting to make the fish stand out or if it really does matter depending on the fishes natural habitat? Also which looks better to brighten the fishes colours?

I know probably sounds like a completely stupid question but I can't find anything on it.

For just a random opinion... We have had light tan sand in our larger cichlid tank for years, but recently started a new smaller tank with black gravel. I think the fish colors really pop more against the black gravel-but we also notice their orange poop really well too... The fish have always looked colorful against the tan sand, but theres not as sharp of a contrast as there is with the black. Ie- yellow on tan vs yellow on black. I'm curious too if anyone has an answer if natural habitat helps or not.

IME the majority of fish are definitely more at ease over a dark bottom. A bright bottom is not natural to them and so they don't display their most definitive colors, and the rebounding light off the bottom will wash them out to a certain extent. Certainly the mixed tans of the "natural" gravel are better than a stark white, with darker colored bottom layers even better.