Celebes Halfbeak Success

DJay

Came home to find 12 (possibly 13) Celebes Halfbeak fry, Nomorhamphus liemi, swimming about in the 20 gal tank that holds my lone female. I had picked up a pair at the start of the New Year, but lost the male almost immediately for unknown reasons. I was hoping that she might be gravid as a result of their brief time together and over the last few months it did look like she was "filling up." Well, apparently they were together long enough! These fry are enormous! The female is maybe 3 inches long yet each of the fry are close to 3/4 - 1 inch long! I've separated "Mom" in a mesh breeding box within the tank as apparently the adults are notorious fry eaters. I fed a bit of crushed NLS pellets to the babies and they seem to dig into it right away.

Here are a few pics I took of the new arrivals, hope you enjoy!

Duncan

<a href=IMG_0894_zpsk3k09wt8.jpg" />

<a href=IMG_0874_zpskhxjja80.jpg" />

<a href=IMG_0872_zpsue5uvb6y.jpg" />

<a href=IMG_0893_zpsd91z8oue.jpg" />

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well came home tonight and she's not fat anymore. Had a few things to take care of before I could take a good look but have spotted three little fishes swimming around amongst the water wysteria floating on the surface.

Now if only I could get these red laser's eggs to hatch.

• 2 months later...

Ok time for an update on these. Decided to pull the babies out of community tank they were born in to prevent them from being eaten. Turned out to be four not three but alas two had to be put down due to scoliosis of the spine. The remaining two continued to feed and grow very quickly. Had put them in a ten gallon I was actually wanting to clean out and rescape for some cpo's if I ca find them this fall. Glad I did as the spixi snails I had in there took the over feeding smorgasbord I was providing and make like rabbits. Went from two I purchased from Vince to 6 and now to over a dozen of them. Hundreds of MTS in there now too.

Last weekend I figured at nearly twice the size of the neon tetras I have had for a year now it was time to move the babies back to community tank. Watched them that night for a bit and everything seemed great. Male came around and checked them out and by his behaviour thought my hunch of remaining babies being both females confirmed. Came home next night from work and couldn't find the little buggers. Freak. Fed the tank still no sign of the babies. Resigned myself to thought that Columbian tetras munched em. Two days went by and never saw a sign of baby beaks. Came home Thursday and there hanging out in front of a mass of wysteria was a baby beak. Believe I also spotted the second weaving amongst the mess of greenery. So looks like will be success and might just be wishful thinking and old bad eyes but mom looks to be getting chunky again.