Mayan Terrors

JORG

I obtained a group of juvenile Cichlasoma urophthalmus last summer. Here are some shots of a busy young pair.

Male

052_zps471a115c.jpg

Pair guarding eggs

020_zpsd0282dbd.jpg

female looking after wigglers

073_zps54415aa8.jpg

pair looking after fry in sand

015_zps864375fc.jpg

pics of parents with fry ,I removed about half the fry while they were still wigglers to raise separate.

040_zps25a66a49.jpg

074_zps864bd0f0.jpg

078_zps538c5afe.jpg

pic of the pike that ate all the fry I left with parents

225_zpse4416308.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

any fry for sale, how big?

I have 4 adults available ..1 breeding pair , 1 male and another I think is a female. They are all about 9-12 inches now. I need the tank they are in to grow out a group of Cichlasoma ornatum I got a while ago.

Edited by JORG

I need the tank they are in to grow out a group of Cichlasoma ornatum I got a while ago.

Hope you sell some offspring if you get them to breed. I have been looking for these for a long time.

Hopefully soon ..I have 5 the biggest is around 5 inches now.

Saw some of those in the, lack of a better term "swamp", of our resort when we were in the Mayan last Spring. A couple beautiful specimens you have there.

Yeah I can't really capture their true colours with the camera ..but they are looking good. The female is getting redder with every spawn.

Thanks but I'm looking for fry to put with my festae and ornatum growouts

Where did you score your Ornatums from ? It took me a long time to find the ones I got.

• 3 months later...

Thanks but I'm looking for fry to put with my festae and ornatum growouts

Where did you score your Ornatums from ? It took me a long time to find the ones I got.

I got them from the states, I realize now that these are much more aggressive than their festae cousins, I now ended up with two males and one female pushing 6 inches, they kill each other until only a pair is left. Festea's attack in spurts but these guys are different.

I have a male (Ornantum in a 750 gallon tank and he kept fighting a male Parachromis Motaguense (same size), you would think the tank would be big enough to avoid fighting, well I know what damage a male Mota can do so I pulled out the mota.