elf_poop

One of my angelfish is not eating and it has been about 48 hours.

There is 2 and they are being treated with tetracycline (day 3, just did 25% water change) in about 15 gal. of water.

Have a heater, a bubbler, and a filter running all good for 25 gal. tank.

I feed them once a day, he looks interested but then food just floats by his face and he doesn't try to eat.

How long can an angelfish survive without eating? Is it time to stop treatment? I know with human bacterial infections you want to treat for the full course, otherwise any existing bacteria can become immune.

Thanks

The best food for exciting an angelfish displaying a lack of appetite is live adult artemia or fairy shrimp. They go crazy when the shrimp are added to the tank. As these are hard to locate white worms are the probably the next best thing. White worms and grindal worms should not be fed more than 2 times a week as the high fat content can cause constipation and damage the kidneys.

Where can you find these things and do you "quarantine"?

I was thinking of posting in the DIY section... but if anyone is reading this, have you ever tried purposely getting mosquitos to lay their larvae in backyard "pools"?

[edit: found all the info in the Livefood from ponds journal]

[update: angelfish is spoiled and picky, will eat but only eats Brine/Mysis shrimp hand fed by tweezer]

Edited by elf_poop

• 2 months later...