Plants & Cichlids?

EowynJane

Has anyone ever successfully planted a cichlid tank? How did you do it and what plants did you use? I have a 55g with yellow labs and yellow tail acei that I've tried planting a few times only to find everything either ripped up or eaten. Am I fighting a losing battle?

post-6561-0-75174300-1429478962_thumb.jpg

I have java fern in my tropheus tank and I have had it in an mbuna tank as well. in the pic I just wedged the rhizomes in the gaps in the rock work and the wood. in my mbuna tank I had a large bush of it that I purchased already attached to a piece of lava rock. I have also had some luck with anubias in a mbuna tank but it also needed to be secured a piece of wood or rockwork.

Thanks... I've had anubias in there before and I think it was both the fish and the algae that did it in. I had it secured to a piece of driftwood with a rubber band, maybe I'll try this again. I also have lots of java fern so I guess I'm in luck there! Any suggestions for controlling the algae? It's black and hairy. The tank gets a lot of natural light and it's getting out of control.