New Saltwater Tank

kevintran

I just purchased a used 120 gallon 4'x2x2 aquarium!!! I have only worked with freshwater and this will be my first saltwater tank. I'm planning on a FOWLR tank. I've been researching and I had a couple of questions.

Would liverock + protein skimmer + pumps be efficient for a FOWLR tank? I have a canister filter and an underwater filter, would I be able to use those?

Another questio, my tank is a little different than other ones I've seen. At the top where there is the frame, is glass that sticks in about an inch, with a glass pannel in the middle. I've been researching the things I need for a saltwater tank. One thing that worries me is the protein skimmer. I don't have the things I need for a sump, so I'm leaning towards a HOB skimmer. I would like to use a HOB, but I'm not sure that the gap on a skimmer would clear the glass. Does anyone have a tank similar to mine? And any reccomendations for a skimmer appropriate for my tank?

My last question I have is about pumps. How much GPH should I be aiming for? Would 2 600GPH(example) pumps be better than 1 1200 GPH?

Ron, I sympathize however; this is posted in the SALTWATER section of this forum....there are many of us that rock both flavours of tanks so I don't see this question as being offside at all.

Kevintran: I 'think' you are describing a 'euro braced' tank, I have the same style of tank for my FOWLR set up...I love euro bracing from a structural point of view but also it helps contain some splashing when cleaning the glass with my magnets etc. The big draw back is...you can't 'hang' anything off the glass (generally). So from the limited information I can get from your post, the answer would be no or not easily.

Skimmers are not completely required, I run one but I have a sump, they keep the water very clear, clean and help with the gas exchange and I tend to overfeed so it helps with my nutrient export etc etc; you do not have to run one, but that could mean more frequent water changes etc depending on how your feeding schedule will be.

For your other question regarding pumps I am assuming you are referring to circulating pumps or power heads?? Since you are going to be running a canister filter I think you mean power heads, well this is open to some discussion. If you wanted to attempt to simulate an underwater reef style environment with currents etc or are we just talking water agitation for gas exchange?

I do have another question for you, what kind of fish do you want to keep? and are you going to put sand in the tank?

Edited by uwish