I Need Help Starting My Planted Tank

redcherrybarb

I have a 36 gallon bow front that I would like to plant. I have had fish for 20 years, never tried plants...

I already have a nice small piece of Malaysian driftwood that I boiled forever and is in the tank.

I would really like to have a low tech planted aquarium, could anyone point me in the right direction as to what I need for lighting (SO many different opinions online making my head spin)

And what substrate I need.

Where do I go to procure said supplies (best place in your opinion)

And what plants

I have breeding pair of Kribs I would like to put in this tank but I am worried they'd root in the plants?

So I'd probably go with Rams

My water is soft (we have a softener) and the ph is about 6.8-7

Right now there's only 3 corys in this tank, I moved them when the kribs started spawning as they were cranky and relentlessly chasing the cats.

Thanks all :)

If you want to keep things low-tech, then you can get away with just about any lighting - what do you have now? A couple T8 or a single T5HO with a reflector would be enough, IMO. There are a few ways of providing nutrients to your plants. Some like putting dirt in the lower layer of their substrate, but I just use normal sand and fertilize the water column - check out Estimative Index (EI) or Method of Controled Imballances (MCI) if you want to grow lots of plants, quickly. If you just want a few plants, adding a bit of ferts each week after a WC is good enough. I'd go with a liquid Carbon like Excel or Metricide 14 (if you don't want to run CO2) - that's the most important nutrient, IME. It'll keep your plants healthy and keep algae at bay.

You can get your ferts online or at most hydroponics stores. Get to know a few members on this site by buying plants from them - it'll be the best deal; check out the Livestock Classifieds. If you do want to shop the stores, it's best to get the plants w/in the first few days of their arrival.

I guess it depends how much you want to spend and what you want to grow for plants. Any high output lighting will do the trick for 95% of plants, regardless of the type of lighting (fluorescent LED, MH, etc.). You can just use sand/gravel/potting soil, or you can spend a small fortune on the "real" substrate that ADA and such companies will try to sell you. You can dose fertilizers, wet or dry, or not at all. If you grow undemanding plants such as Java Fern and Anubias, all you'll need is fish, a light (any kind, even low light), and to tie the plants to something. They don't do well when planted in substrate. They're nearly impossible to mess up unless your lighting is too bright and your nutrients are out of whack. Then you'll just grow tons of algae on them since they're slow growers.

Hope that helps?

If you plant at least 75% of the tank footprint with fast-growing plants, you can add fish pretty much right away as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

I have added some plants that I recieved from a friend. I have no idea what they are but they a big, lime green and have long soft leaves. And I also tied a Java fern to the driftwood and its growing!

I only have one t8 bulb (I think it's a plant bulb, it came with the tank I bought used) and that seems to be keeping the plants going with minimal growth. I did pick up the ferts, flourish, Excel, iron and potassium, and dose according to the bottle.

I did get the new finnex planted LED for Mothers Day but haven't put it on yet! I'm a little scared actually.

And just for an FYI. I have a color max and two day whites in my Aqueon LED. It's on the Krib tank. I put a crypt and some of those soft leafy plants in there for them to mess with (they love them) and I am seeing slow growth!

Keep the advice coming! I am now at the crossroads of the dilemma activated carbon vs. ferts... Does carbon remove ferts from the tank?

I'm not a fan of activated carbon, I never ever used it in my fish tanks and never had issues with water clarity. I was just curious as I have 2 Aqueon HOB on the planted tank and the floss "sheets" have a little bit of carbon in them. Just wondering if that was detrimental to the cause.

I'm not sure what kind of filtration system to use. I would like to try a H.O.T and just not use the carbon (maybe fill the carbon container with a plastic scrubbie or something.

Suggestions?