Automatic Fish Feeders

t3ch

Hi everyone,

I will be leaving for vacation in 3 weeks, and I leave the house a lot anyway so I was looking to get an automatic feeder. Did anyway of you have experience with them and any product to suggest? I'm also looking for something not too expensive as I will eventually be getting 3 of those.

Thank you!

Keep an eye on the various local forums because they come up for sale every now and then - getting used ones is a good way to save money. I have the NutraFin and Eheim ones (I have 3 total, as well) and they're all doing what I need them to do. Been using them for about 6 months with no complaints (once I figured out how wide to open the feeder...).

NutraFin feeds 2x per day every 12 hrs - there is no time setting. Eheim is programable for up to 4 feedings per day - if you have a grow-out/fry tank, this is the way to go, IMO.

Hi,

Used definitly is a way to save I started keeping an eye open for some good to come up. Good to know both Nutrafin and Eheim is working good, no fry for now but I am trying to breed my angelfish so the options to have the 4 feeding a day would definitly be a plus.

If you need an inexpensive basic alternative just to hold you over, they sell them at walmart for $20. I have 2 of them and they work just fine. No settings or battery monitor, but it gets the job done.

Thanks Candi it's good to know they do the job. I managed to find an Eheim for 15$ on kijiji i'll pick it up tonight, once I get back from Vacation and get my other tanks setup i'll get 2 more.

Having everything set up automatic is very convenient but just a bit of advice, if you're going away for a while, have someone check up on things while you're gone. I had everything set up automatic and went on vacation for two weeks. As best as I can figure out, I had a gas bubble release from the sand pretty early on, killing all my mbuna. my automatic feeder worked like a charm and continued to feed 2x a day and I came home to a rotting mass of fish and food floating at the top. I realize that the chances of this happening aren't very high but many things can happen when you're gone and I'll never go away again without having someone to poke their head in and check every few days.

I definitly agree with you, regardless for insurance purpose you need someone checking on the house every 4 days, otherwise if a tank leak you're not covered, and I have 2 cats so i'll have someone coming pretty much every day, but it might not be a fixed schedule so I still need the feeder to take care of the fish, plus I don't really trust someone else feeding my fish (most people tend to overfeed).