Moar Sulawesi Cardinal Babies

cainechow

Of the batch I got at the same time as Claudio I had 10 survivors. The first few days are pretty disheartening. I was having one or two deaths a day. Things stabilised after a week or so. Just when i thought you got things figured out, they started moulting and with that came another round of deaths. Every time I saw a moult I was looking for a corpse. That was nerve wracking. Eventually there were 10 left.

But now after Claudio's success, I've followed suit. We've both got different setups. I'm very grateful that there are babies.

post-5671-0-38775500-1435103227_thumb.jpg

You can just make out the little guys hiding under the moss rock.

Edited by cainechow

So far I've counted up to 24 baby cardinals at one time out grazing. I have 3 pregnant mommies at the moment. These little guys seem that grow quite quickly. The biggest one I've seen from the first brood is probably about 6mm in length now. Let's hope they make it into adulthood. I may have to spin up another tank to hedge against catastrophic failure.

I added an annotation on the youtube video that starts at 10 seconds to point out the little baby. You can only make out the little white gloves doing their ninja thing.

I suspect that neos are better algae eaters but I haven't kept neos for some time now. The cardinals don't seem to eat the more mature algae. I picked up some sun snails to hopefully clean out the older algae.