Sun (Horned Nerite) Snails

SKAshrimps

Sun (Horned Nerite) Snails

One of our favourite type of Horned Nerite snails. They stay small, don't reproduce in freshwater and and won't touch your plants. They are one of the best algae eaters for hard algae and mineral deposits on the glass and other hard surfaces.

Sun snails have two distinct patterns on their shells; on one side they have a textured olive green / grey pattern (like that of an elephant trunk) and on the other side the pattern spiral towards an apex with recessed yellow "rays". The "horns" rises up along the perimeter of these two patterns

As with most snails, they require neutral to high pH.

SKA-6233191_zpsrdwiyplx.jpg

th_SKA-6233270_zpsntcs4ctj.jpg th_SKA-6233254_zpsg2qnncbz.jpg th_SKA-6233218_zpsghhep6s6.jpg th_SKA-6233281_zpsfkivmxac.jpg th_SKA-6233213_zps6h6uhqvk.jpg

I got a few of these from SKA and I can vouch for their amazing appetite for algae. I have my lights running pretty bright and long to grow algae for my Sulawesi Cardinals to graze on. Unfortunately the Cardinals only seem to like new/young algae and not mature algae so I dropped 3 of these guys in there and after 3 weeks my tank no longer has patches of old algae. I'm now in the process of moving some to some of my other tanks.