Riverfront Aquariums In Calgary Faces Third Set Of Charges In A Year

uwish

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/07/31/riverfront-aquariums-calg_n_7914796.html

CALGARY — The owner of a Calgary pet store is facing charges under Alberta's animal protection act after the seizure of a lizard, a tree frog and two geckos.

The Calgary Humane Society says the animals were in medical distress when they were seized from Riverfront Aquariums on June 18.

It is the third set of charges against store owner Wayne Woo in less than a year.

In May, an iguana and chameleon in medical distress were seized.

And last September nine rabbits and a bearded dragon were found to be suffering from neglect.

Woo is next to appear in court Aug. 6.

theres a black eye for business!

Eugene"s comment brings up a point that always puts a burr under my saddle. Humane Societies and other similar organizations jump right in with both feet when it comes to protecting animals, reptiles and birds but do nothing when it comes to fish. When was the last time anyone here ever heard of a retail store or hobbyist being busted for neglect or mistreatment of fish. I can't think of a single occasion. They are living creatures and do deserve proper care and attention just as much as the others that seem so important and hit the news all the time.

A couple of comments that hopefully will be food for thought for all of you;

1. There is only one side to this story. Perhaps these were new or sick reptiles he had taken in, we don't know. As for the rabbits, Wayne only sells reptiles or fish so I'm thinking they were someone's dinner. Also what is medical distress? Were they not fed, enclosures not clean etc? Quite frankly, I think Riverfront is an easy target for the SPCA as he's not one of the chain stores with deep pockets for lawyers.

2. Response on social media has been nasty. What happened to the" innocent until proven guilty" that we all abide by?

3. Riverfront is this man's way of providing for his family and his livelihood for many years. All this publicity will destroy his business and what will he do then?

Just my 2 cents!!

A couple of comments that hopefully will be food for thought for all of you;

1. There is only one side to this story. Perhaps these were new or sick reptiles he had taken in, we don't know. As for the rabbits, Wayne only sells reptiles or fish so I'm thinking they were someone's dinner. Also what is medical distress? Were they not fed, enclosures not clean etc? Quite frankly, I think Riverfront is an easy target for the SPCA as he's not one of the chain stores with deep pockets for lawyers.

2. Response on social media has been nasty. What happened to the" innocent until proven guilty" that we all abide by?

3. Riverfront is this man's way of providing for his family and his livelihood for many years. All this publicity will destroy his business and what will he do then?

Just my 2 cents!!

Yup I agree with everything you say...You should post it on Calgary Aquarium Societies Facebook page as well.

I'm always a 'glass half empty' type of person been that way ever since a little kid. While everyone here who has posted has valid points...what also must be remembered is that it is a public business just as this forum is a public forum. Someone might not like negative criticism but this is again (beating the horse) a public domain and they (business owners) must expect it to come forward and any criticism either good or bad has every right to be said to them. Each business has a back-story be it good or bad, happy or sad however that does not have anything to do with legalities that we do have within our democratic system. Some may not like certain laws but hey if someone doesn’t like it…stand up and change it!

Yes there are special interest groups who lobby for this and that...we are in a democratic country and have legal right to speak our minds.

I'm sure there will be posts to rebut what I've said...but hey...it's all good...we've got free speech in Canada...just as long as we respect other peoples beliefs and opinions!