29G Planted Tank Starting To Come Along

Aqua_Yoda

Hi everyone,

I am starting my first "real" planted tank and would like opinions on if you guys/gals think I am up to snuff on equipment etc.

Below is a list of details on tank/ equipment:

29g tank (30x12x19)

Dual t5 HO 22inch- 24watt life glow lights (on for 10hrs a day)

Fluval 305 with Seachem media and thick bio media sponge

300 watt heater marina heater (piece of junk)

2.5" layer of Fluval plant stratum.

DIY yeast Co2 system with glass/ceramic diffuser

RO water mixed with tap water and Kent RO plant/fish buffer

Flourish excel few drop dose every water change

Osmocote gell caps for substrate fertilizer

post-6153-0-29219100-1438566683_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aqua_Yoda

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forgot to mention temp is 80f.

Current plants

3 potted anubias

1 tiny anubias attached to wood

3 offspring java ferns attached to wood

1 moss ball separating already

3 tiger lotus

1 rubra

6 other assorted lily bulbs yet to sprout.

I ordered a 6"x6" patch of java moss as well.

Any suggestions on small plants for mid/front of tank?

Edited by Aqua_Yoda

Things look good for now but running that much light over that tank for 8 hours a day will result in a LOT of algae at some point, your Anubias leaves and glass will be covered. For foreground plants I've always been a big fan of pygmy chain swords.

Best of luck with the tank, make sure to take weekly shots so you can really see the progress!

I agree with ckmullin, if you keep the tank in balance, you don't necessarily get algae. The most important nutrient in CO2; when using DIY CO2, I recommend setting up a 2nd bottle a week or two afterward. You never want CO2 to reach 0ppm, so when one dies, you'll still have CO2 going and can replace it. If you can, get a pressurized system, do so as soon as possible. Your Flourish Excel is liquid CO2, follow the instructions on the bottle to make sure your plants stay healthy.

The other macro (most important) nutrients are Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus. If you want healthy plants, you'll have to supplement those nutrients - fishfood is not enough.

Micronutrients aren't as necessary, but still important. You can usually find them all mixed together as a trace mix.

Add more plants that grow quickly - stem plants like Hygrophilla spp. Rotalla spp. Hydrocotyle spp. etc. rosette plants like sword plants, grasses like Valisnera and Sagittaria in addition to your lotus plants are all good. Lots of healthy plants will keep algae at bay. Once we have a good, healthy system you'll want to up your light schedule to 10-14hrs (12 is great, but changing it during the year can cause plants to flower).

Have plants, have fun!!

Thanks for the replies!

The puffer is a fahaka and is for sale or trade. It's only in there temporary to bring the MTS population under control which is happening fast LOL.

My PH is a touch over 8 and KH-270 GH-150 nitrate-20 nitrite-0 all PPM

I am slowly going back to 10hrs, I'm at 9 now.

I don't mind some extra cleaning of algae if it shows up on glass, I just don't want it on my plant leaves. The MTS do clean the plants a lot when the puffer isn't in there. Also I will be adding cherry shrimp to aid in cleaning as soon as my RO membrane shows up so I can mix it with tap water.