Camallanus Worms And My Gbr's Decided To Spawn. Kill Me.

redcherrybarb

I bought a pair of German blue Rams from Aquarium Illusions about 2 1/2 months ago. The female died within 2 days, so my glorious little male has just been hanging out with the corys and neons (who were in the tank for ages before the Rams) for a few months. I bought another female and QT her for almost a month. She looked good so in she went with the male a few days ago. They hit it off immediately. I was so happy to see them doing the shaking and posturing, cleaning off a flat spot on some driftwood.

This morning I woke up to the male has camallanus worms sticking out of his butt. I didn't see them before today. He obviously came with them, as everything I read says they take 6-12 weeks to show.

Everyone else in the tank is fine...for now. Give it a month...

So where the bloody Hell do I find the meds to kill them? Big Als said PraziPro, but I don't read anything that says it works. And the stuff that is suppose to work is impossible to find.

I can see why people give up on fish. He's my absolute favorite fish and I want to save him. But beings as I can't find anything to treat them, I think im doomed?

Fenbendazole, metronidazole or Levamisole.

Try G&E pharmacy for Levamisole HCL and ask at AC for dosage.

Panacur and Safeguard are dog dew orders also work, again ask AC for dosage if you can find them.

I had Callamanus worms, and the Fenbendazole got rid of them. Round one I initially used metronidazole and it had no effect. Round two Levamisole was somewhat effective. Round three was Fenbendazole and it worked really well. Lots of good info out there on treatment method, and delivery via the fish food (assuming its still eating). They are horrible nematodes and if they are protruding from the vent, they have caused a lot of internal damage on the fish, and in my experience it probably will not survive.

Super sorry but good luck

Source: Levamisole I got from Angelfins online, Fenbendazole from a AA member here in town. I also had a hell of a time trying to find it.

Edited by FunkSolid