Aquarium Rocks

WickedOdie

Go to a landscape supply store. In Edmonton, the big ones are Canaar and Burnco - they've got the best selection. For building walls/piles, I like Fieldstone because it's got some flat surfaces, which make stacking easier, and any color you'd want; or, granite b/c it's inert and has flat surfaces.

What is a slab of granite like when a shop gets it in? What I mean, I see a lot of shows where the home owners buy a square slab of granite and just get it cut to length, but I've never seen anyplace that sells just prefabbed rectangular blocks of granite (not tiles, like large countertop style slabs)

Edited by Iceturf

I was referring to granite rocks and boulders... but if you like the look of slabs stacked to build caves, etc. that'll do.

Granite is a fine grained metamorphic rock. Marble is calcius limestone. The only place you might get away with marble is in a saltwater tank. A slab when it arrives is about 5' X 9' and 1 1\4 thick. Sizes very but not usually the thickness. The edges can be (asside from cut) broken, hammered or chiselled to get the edge (and\or shape) you are looking for.