Golden Dojo Loaches

orangestargazer

Hello everyone, I have a golden dojo loach who's about 2years old now, he's had a few different buddies but none have survived. In Approx. April or May of this year I bought a pair of golden dojo loaches to befriend him, they do get along quite well together. What I have noticed is this pair of golden dojo loaches which are also albino as they both have red eyes, have grown to look quite different then my original golden dojo whom I affectionately call "Loachy". They appear to be "short and fat" compared to Loachy, they're also quite hyperactive compared to him and do not have the "horse face" appearance. Anyways after much internet research I'm convinced they're a different species from China called Paramisgurnus dabryanus and not Misgurnus anguillicaudatus the pond loach from Japan. Does anyone know if the two different types are in fact sold regularly as pets? Or is one commonly mistaken for the other? I can't decipher the fish lingo to describe the differences so any ones experience would be appreciated if they happen to know about these two types of loaches. If I get a chance I'll post pictures as my profile picture is only Loachy and an old buddy. Thanks again for your help or if you have any input.

I've kept dojo loaches often over the years and all color morphs. I've found there is quite a variance from individual to individual. There are a couple of different species that are common and commonly interchanged in the hobby. The differences are slight however. They are all compatable and similar in "personality". Unless you are specifically trying to breed them I wouldn't worry much about what you have. If you are interested in breeding then only purchase from one source and all at once.

I've kept dojo loaches often over the years and all color morphs. I've found there is quite a variance from individual to individual. There are a couple of different species that are common and commonly interchanged in the hobby. The differences are slight however. They are all compatable and similar in "personality". Unless you are specifically trying to breed them I wouldn't worry much about what you have. If you are interested in breeding then only purchase from one source and all at once.