Sign in to follow this  
fatpuffer

No Teck Nano Tank (Except Light)

I have a filterless, heaterless planted nano tank. It is doing well with plants and shrimps. I will be away for 1.5 weeks. I cannot feed at that time. Is this going to be an issue? Plants are just anubias, a bit of moss, and pothos on top for nitrate removal. It has neocaridina type shrimps which are thriving and actually found a baby one as well.

Thanks.

Js

If it's a pretty light shrimp pop'n, you should be fine. If there's a chance someone can pop in once while you're away to add just the tiniest amount of food, that might be better. The worst I could see happening is the shrimp strip the moss and/or pothos root-hairs.

A quick update: tank is doing well. had one shrimp die but I see LOTS of moulted shell all over the tank. I found 3 baby shrimps...I think they are blue. The tank is a mix of culls (brown, blue, and red). Some of the reds are getting brighter and some blues are blue except the middle part of the body which is just clear. I think I might have hydra...can really tell but I have been doing water changes and feeding less. So far so good. Jayba have some fenbendazole for me just in case.

2 month update: No casualties. 3 berried females. These shrimps are hardy. I take a big yogourt container full of water out of the tank...replace it with a bit warmer treated water from the tap. No tech still except for desk light.

Still going strong; found another new berried female. I did give in and bought a mini magfloat as the front was getting caked in green algae. I left the sides and the back for the shrimps to graze on. interesting little critters.

J

Hi folks...

how many shrimps can a 2.5 gallon hold? I started with 20 and now I have over 25 babies on top of that. All seems well with the shrimps. all getting along.

With plants... probably 50+ adults. Once your babies get to be around 1/3 size, you might want to start slowly culling your adults... start with the least colorful ones.

Thanks. I really am not breeding for anything. These are just culls that I obtained. Some of the babies are very blue though...looks really nice. I might have to get rid of them and pass them on to someone that can appreciate them.