New Provincial Legislations

fishclubgirl

Yup , complete bans in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta & BC . Manitoba only has a ban on the Northern Snakehead -Channa Argus .

It's too bad the other provinces couldn't have taken the time to research the species and put the ban on the one that matters rather then lumping all snakeheads together. I can understand the reasoning behind to banning a potentially evasive top level Pred like channa argus , but the others are not a risk.

I couldn't agree more with both of you. I believe there's also one other hybrid species of snakehead that the states has been battling similar to argus, which understandably should be banned. What's the fine like for being in possession? I'm assuming pretty steep considering its breaching the invasive species list?

Gorgeous sh profile pic amodrag.

Some excellent points of view here, and absolutely pathetic decision making, once again, by the all mighty Government!! Sad that we all have to pay the price for lack of knowledge possessed by certain "appointed officials".

Does anyone have any incite on a possible grandfather clause? We're owners who possessed any Chana before the new law was in affect expected to kill their own pets!?

Lastly, what's the punishment for currently owning one?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I agree that responsible owners should be allowed to have whatever pet pleases them. Be it exotic aquatic species to so called aggressive dogbreeds.

Unfortunately uneducated, irresponsible or unscrupulous people seem to out number the responsible owners .

Instead of an outright ban I would support a license and tagging system. But I suspect overseeing such a program would be cost prohibitive, leaving a ban as the government's only option.

AA