Silvertip Bristlenose Genes

FunkSolid

I have 3 BLP in my 120 all three are dark with the silver tip tails. I saw a huge group of eggs in my driftwood, took the driftwood out into my QT tank and they all hatched nicely. To my surprise, I have about 50% albino, and 50% are nice and dark with the same presentation as mom and dad. I find that weird because my grossly oversimplified Mendelian gene square says that even if mom and dad are heterozygous for the recessive albino gene I should not get 50% albino!?!

Anybody else have an experience like this?

It appears that there are more genetic markers determining albinism in BN plecos than would be predicted by simple Mendelian estimates.

• 2 weeks later...

How would this work for Long fin pleco? Would both parents need to be long fin? Or would you get a mix? I have a new Albino male long fin in a tank of regular albino females?

My albino pairs regular fin also produced some long fin albino.. I have 1 long fin but I dont believe it to be breeding size yet? at only 2-2.5" without fins. If it is of breeding age then it would be female. In my experience (6 months) with my :

2 male adult albino reg,

2 female adult albino reg,

1 unsexed juvinille long fin albino.

They produced 6 batches of 99% regular fin albino, with maybe 30 long fin albino, and 1 silvertip regular fin babies. Pressumably, mine are from long lines of albinos?

TL:DR/

Albinoism is recessive however long fin is dominate. You should get a mix. Two long fin parents would result in a larger percentage of babies being long fin.

Edited by japanda