Labidochromis Caeruleus "ruarwe" (Yellow Labs)

NLaferriere

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks RD.
Two more females are starting to plump up. Shouldn't be long before the breeding factory begins. lol

I might move out some of the Cuckoo Cats to another tank so they can spawn undisturbed. The male was busy and I want to get a few batches of Ruarwe going first before kitties. I'll probably sell off two of the cuckoo males (1F 4M) and separate the female so I can condition her up. Then I might try the non-host method of spawning them. I've heard that they don't need a host in order to spawn.

The Ruarwe were at it again today after a 50% water change. I noticed again this morning that one of the females was very gravid and her oviposter was quite swollen. Within an hour of doing the water change and they were at it.

Dominant male

feb15male_zpsgb3o3ptm.jpg

feb15male2_zpsuvmazepv.jpg

Holding Female
feb15femalehold2_zpsm7gcvqch.jpgfeb15femalehold_zpscpatphix.jpg

There's one more female that is quite gravid so hopefully they get going pretty good. Sadly out of the 16 that I purchased it appears there's only 3 females.

From the first spawn the female only had 4 fry which are finishing off their yolk sacs in an egg tumbler. They're about 2 weeks old now. The female of these fry was the largest of the three females but I think it was lack of experience. They'll figure it out.

• 3 months later...

Looks like a great looking Yellow Lab. The biggest thing is black in the fins and solid yellow colour throughout the body. Hybrids will have a different shaped mouth (not the pointed mouth) and won't have the solid black in the fins. Some will also have faint barring in the body.

Yours looks like a beauty!