Labidochromis Caeruleus "ruarwe" (Yellow Labs)

NLaferriere

Picked up 16 of these from Spencer Jack in Winnipeg. I trekked them across the prairies to Golden, BC and I'm currently raising them up. Looks like the group is male heavy with at least half of them being males. I separated the largest males from the group to a separate tank to allow the subdominants and females to catch up in growth.

Currently I'm doing daily 30% water changes and power feeding them to boost growth on the tank with the smaller ones. I'm feeding small amounts about 4 times a day.

These guys are stunning with solid yellow/orange throughout the entire body. No white at all on these guys, even as juveniles. What sparked me to work with these is my utter disappointment with modern Electric Yellows. The ones you see now a days for the most part are washed out and don't do the species justice. So I'm hoping to pump out some top quality, non-hybrid, true Yellow Labs back into the hobby.

They're getting close to breeding age and I'm excited to start getting these going. Of the males I've separated, I've chosen the two best to be my breeding males. These having the most black in the fins.

Here's a couple pics from about a week ago before the trek to BC. They've since grown but I haven't got a chance to snap any updated pics yet.

IMG_5845_zps69aild6h.jpg

IMG_5855_zpsjtzv063m.jpgIMG_5884_zps6he7jhom.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice looking group of fish!

FYI - Some of the Lions Cove variant of L. caeruleus naturally have some white on their bellies. This is not a negative feature, anymore than a male sporting a black mask is. I have seen both features in wild labs. In fact, one of the past members here on AA spent 5 months working for the late Stuart Grant on Lake Malawi back in 2003, and collected, and returned to AB with a breeding group of wild yellow labs from Lions Cove. He also set up the tank below in Stuart's fish room at the same time. Hopefully these attachments work.

post-20-0-74709700-1452632170_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-90936100-1452632099_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-09324100-1452632283_thumb.jpg

Thanks RD.

Ya the Lion's Cove variety does have a varying amount of white to them. I'm not bashing any of the wild strains as they all have awesome colour and differing features. I'm talking more about the Yellow Labs you find at the less reputable or big box fish stores. The washed out, farmed labs and the clearly hybrid labs with no black to them at all.

Even the White Lab from Nkhata Bay can have some yellow on them, even from wild fish.

We're actually pretty lucky here in AB, the descendants of Kyle's wild labs are still circulating and there's a few very nice line bred strains. But ya, lots of crap at the big box stores, for sure. The Ruarwe variant seems to have a bit of an orange tinge to them, very nice looking fish. Good luck with them.

Thanks mate.

Was in Pisces today and their "Yellow Labs" were some sort of hybrid. Mouth was too wide to be pure strain. Sucks when big megastores like Pisces are selling sub-par fish to the masses. This is exactly why I will only buy quality stock from reputable breeders/shops.