Diy Led Aquarium Lighting (Inexpensive And Easy Way)

NLaferriere

This is great and I found this video while trying to figure out how to do LED lighting for my aquariums without spending hundreds of dollars. You can buy these LED strips on eBay for very cheap. 5 metre strip plus all the components is about $35 with free shipping.

Check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QSxJymRBak

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joeys video is awesome. Here is another one that I think improves on what Joey did, and is a better design!

Hopefully this post advances the video to the salient content at the 3 minute mark

https://youtu.be/VgyWu_jP7AQ?t=3m8s

Edited by FunkSolid

Ya that's a good tip also. The only thing I would change is either paint the inside of the gutter with chrome spray paint or glue in some reflective film so it disperses the light better. I like the idea of wrapping the LED strip around the PVC though, makes use of the whole 5 metres as opposed to cutting it.

Thanks for the video FunkSolid.

I have read or watched (cant remember source) that the white gutters reflect a comparable amount of light? Not sure if thats legit or not. I would buy Aluminum Tape (HVAC guys use it on ducting) and it will just stick on and is pure aluminum! Super cheap and easy available at any hardware store. I really like the method I posted because you have less junctions, and can potentially utilize the whole strip. When I did my searching for LED strips, it was difficult finding ones with pure white LEDs.

What strip lights are you using? URL?

Ya, my only concern is if people are using adhesives that aren't aquarium safe it could potentially affect aquarium health. I'll probably just leave it white. I remember you could buy reflectors from Fluval for their T5 HO lights for pretty cheap. Seen them at Petsmart etc.

This guy is selling LED strips in Canada and he has a whole bunch of options available. I'm waiting for him to get back (says he's gone til the 16th) and then I'll be ordering to do the build.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC-DC-16ft-5M-5050-RGB-LED-Waterproof-Light-Strip-44-key-12V-Adap-free-ship/301579579215?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211132617%26meid%3D77e0b7a40ca3437d9c9ba6e64ca4599e%26pid%3D100085%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D301579579215%26clkid%3D2558935322971221959&_qi=RTM2247625

I'm a little curious on the life preformance of those LED strips from China land, but I think the idea, and what you can do with it is fantastic. Avoid the bulky heatsink, and just spread out among many little LED's. I like the video where he changes the colour of the strip, very neat.

I used the LED strips for my current shrimp rack (posted using my other account)

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=43168

I went all fancy though and got proper aluminium channels with clear acrylic covers that were designed be to used with the strips. Mainly because i wanted something i remove and swap out if needed and a lower profile.

A couple things; if high(er) i recommend the minimum spec would be higher density 5630 LEDs (90 LEDs per meter vs 60 on the normal 5630) or the newer 7020 LEDs - you can also get them in rigid strips in 1m lengths.

I went with waterproof strips for my first set - regretting it now as they tend to yellow after 5-6 months and cut down on output of the lights. But than again, i could get away with non-waterproof ones as I with the the channels with the clear covers which cost 3-4x the price of the LEDs.

These LED are great for shallow tanks but they do when their limits when it comes to penetrating water with deeper tanks - you would need lenses for those to focus the light more but those are not very practical on strips like these.

I got most of my stuff from 724lights (http://www.724light.com/)

The yellowing is curious, plastics yellow primarily under UV exposure, making me wonder if these LED's don't have proper phosphorous coatings to convert the UV to visible light.

not 100% sure as i am not expert when it comes to those type of things but it is similar to how some silicon airline tubing turn yellow over time i think. But yeah, i prefer the non waterproof ones