Pics From The Arctic (Fish Pics)

NLaferriere

During the summer months I work above the Arctic Circle on Great Bear Lake, NWT and Tree River, Nunavut as a fishing guide. Here's a few pics from this past summer.

bear%20lights%20small_zps3i63uh2o.jpgAugust Northern Lights. Gotta love having to look straight up and south in order to see the lights.

Prospect%2020lb%20Grey%20Fly%20Caught%2020 lb lake trout caught with the fly rod from shore. My biggest I've personally caught on fly gear.

Falcon%20Rock%20Area%20Redfin%20small_zpRedfin Lake Trout (different morph) caught from shore on fly gear.

Redfin%20Release%20small_zpsmqmkhtnj.jpg

Redfin release.

Third%20Falls%20small_zpsvz47wswq.jpgThird Falls on the Tree River, Nunavut

Tree%20River%20scenery%20small_zpsn75s1qTree River Sunset

Thanks!

Bugs are bad for the first couple weeks, mostly just a nuisance at shore lunch and on shore. I just try to pick a windy shore lunch spot and use bug spray when needed. As for bugs while fishing, not really an issue. It's a giant lake.

Age of the lakers, it's less than you'd think. The Redfins and even more accurately, the Butterfly Redfins live the longest, up to 70 years. The big piscivorous "Greys" are 30-50 yrs old. We have 7-11 different morphs of Lake Trout in Great Bear Lake. (depends on which biologist you talk to) All classified as the same species but each has evolved to occupy a specific niche in the food chain.

Thanks for the great pics. Those are some very big fish. Is it catch and release only or do you enjoy them for lunch?

We keep a juvenile Redfin for lunch everyday, approx 4-6lbs. Redfins are the most abundant morph of lake trout in the lake and inhabit a lot of different habitats. From the shallow surge zone, to deep water troughs and drop offs to open water. I've seen them crashing on balls of ciscoes at the surface and even sipping caddis flies off the surface. They seem to be more of an opportunistic generalist feeder.

The Greys are the largest and feed on whatever will fit in their mouth. They also have large heads, massive mouths and enlarged teeth. This combined with a long, sleek body and large tail make them the ultimate predator in Great Bear Lake.

• 4 weeks later...