Angelfish Attacks Heater?

DougAdel

In a new turn of events my fully grown angelfish that I've had for about 5 years in the same established tank has decided it's biggest enemy is the heater.

Params are all fine. No ammonia or nitrites. Nitrate is about 5 ppm. PH is around 7.8. This is where it has pretty much always been. Temp around 78 again pretty much where it always is. 33 gal.

Albino bn Pleco still acting the same (living under driftwood) and 2 assassin snails and a nerite chugging along like normal.

When I go up close the angel still comes up to me looking for food like she always does, but when I sit back and just watch she starts mauling the little tube heater.

The only thing I can really think of is the last of my schooling fish died. After about 3 years my 8 or so black phantom tetras kicked the bucket. I assume they just lived out their life.

Is the angel bored? Does she need something smaller to kick around? Is the heater calling her names? Any ideas?

If it's a female angel, she could be looking to spawn on the heater, especially if there's a lack of other objects for her to spawn on. Angels will clean off any surface with their mouth if they are going to spawn on it, and this could be exactly what she is doing. If you are concerned about it, try planting some broad leaf plants in the tank, or even lean a slate tile in a corner of the tank for her. My angels spawned everywhere, filter intakes, heaters, but they always liked broad leaf plants (anubias or something similar) and a medium sized slate tile leaned at a 45 degree angle or so. If that's not it, then I'm not sure. She could just be bored, but my bet is that she is looking for a place to lay eggs.