Cuckoo Cats Spawning Without A Host

NLaferriere

Hey,

So I have spawned Cuckoos in the past but always with cichlid hosts. I've heard of people spawning them successfully without a host and wondering if anyone has advice or experience doing this!? I have a small group of 1F 4M and I'm thinking of selling off 2 of the males to leave a reverse trio. The female is the most dominant fish by far. If I separate her with a divider I can target more food to her directly and start conditioning her. The cuckoos I have are nearing breeding age, approx 2.5 years old (3+ inches)

I'm thinking of doing the method normally used for spawning S.lucipinnis/petricola, with the clay pot over a grate/marbles and a clear glass dish underneath. This would allow them to spawn in private but I could still look for eggs in the bottom of the glass dish.

Any advice on this would be great! Cuckoos were definitely one of the most fun species of fish I've spawned and it'd be great to not have to sacrifice my cichlid fry and get a larger yield of cuckoo kitties.

Nick

I have never found my cuckoos willing to breed like petricolas but I suppose anything is possible. I couldn't find anything online either but mind you that was at least 7 or 8 years ago when I did the search. I can tell you that using fish with larger mouth capacities are best - sand divers, borleyi, etc. Another thing I've found - the females you use as hosts will soon tire of laying eggs and having them eaten by the multis so you have to change the hosts frequently.

Thanks Harold.

Ya I've read that the cichlid hosts will wise up. I was thinking of keeping the cuckoos separately until I feel the female is gravid and ready to go. That way too I can focus on fattening them up without the presence of cichlids. Tough to condition the cats when the cichlids eat everything before it gets to them. lol

I'm wondering too if the female cuckoo is separated and allowed to get gravid, if when she is put back in with the males if they'll just get to it or if they "need" cichlids spawning to trigger them. I guess I have some experimenting to do! =P

Will document any progress/findings.

From information I've picked up I think personally that the female cuckoos would be better off with cichlids in the tank. When the cichlids are breeding they release phermones and the cuckoos pick up the scent which triggers them into action. To condition your multis feed them meaty products and after the tank lights have been off for at least 1/2 hour so the cichlids are settled in for the night. The cats are nocturnal by nature so they will get the bulk of the feeding.

Ya that's some great points. Unfortunately I had a pretty big set back in breeding these guys. My lone female got beat up pretty badly and I had to separate her until she recovers. She was the most dominant in the group of cats and I moved her to another tank because I didn't want them breeding yet and unfortunately the lone male in that tank must have taken out his frustrations on her. Hopefully she'll recover, otherwise I'll have to find a replacement female for the group. She's eating and seems to be enjoying solitude despite being in rough shape.

The joys of fishkeeping...

1st thing I would suggest is to get a few more females - ratio you have puts a lot of undue pressure on a lone female. That's likely why she is getting beat up so badly. I have about 12 comprised of 2 different groups and have never once witnessed any of them getting harassed by any of the others. I have however noticed that when the cichlid hosts begin breeding it is not uncommon for 3 or 4 of the cuckoos to kick into action. That is a sight to behold believe me.

Ya when I used to breed them they would fire up whenever cichlids would spawn. I found that 2 pair was a good group for a smaller tank (50-gallons). There seemed to be a dominant pair that tolerated each other more.

I might have to pick up a female from ya on Sunday if you have one. I'll keep her separate at first to fatten her up and once the cichlids are ready to spawn I'll put them together.

One of the most fun fish I've had the pleasure of breeding. I love watching the cuckoo fry grow for the first 2 months. Seems everyday they're noticeably bigger than the last. 2-inches in 2 months was the growth I had with them with daily 50% water changes and lots of food.

fish503.jpgfish501.jpgnov08028-1.jpg