My Snakeheads !

DevonC

Don't worry I'm not in Alberta , I'm in NB where these guys are still legal so I thought I'd share some pics.

First up Channa pleuropthalma, these are my newest additions and still quite young but colouring up nicely !

CAEC725B-AF08-40F8-8FDA-2BFB2E0FE9B8_zps

94279096-B75E-41D5-815D-F067D146A0C4_zps

9BAAF260-8A94-4570-B484-3A59C0E456A9_zps

E8D61946-7DAA-4068-AB97-574DCB9A3FE8_zps

C5FBC442-E108-4500-B8B4-B743F5985624_zps

Edited by DevonC

Thanks ! Here's another .

Channa Asiatica ! She's my oldest snakehead , the one that started my addiction to channa. She's a big solo female 6+ years old now , unfortunately she brutally killed her male on the first breeding attempts.

This ones a subtropical species out of china , they require the colder end of the subtropical temp range & is most active during winter in colder weather. They max out around 14". This species is by far the most territorial agressive fish I've ever seen. By 3" long she had no fear of attacking my hands and was killing fish 3-4x larger then herself, she even attacks new decore if you add anything to the tank . Also the only fish I've seen that regularly bounces off the lid trying to attack my cats or people if you linger in front of her tank for too long !

DSC06159_zpsaac0c02d.jpg

DSC06178_zps317cdff1.jpg

DSC06220_zps1f77a791.jpg

Yes I do have a breeding pair of Aurantimaculata. They are still doing well . They breed annually in the spring . They are also subtropical, from north eastern India and require the winter cool downs.

Hard to beat a nice Aurantimaculata beautiful colors and top out around 16" . They are territorial and aggressive toward other fish but have good attitudes around people. I've had ones hand feeding in the past I can clean there tanks easily without worry of attacks.

That is unless fry are involved , they are incredible parents and become hyper agressive when they have fry to defend.

DSC07719_zpsc322dda6.jpg

DSC07755_zps23fa6df5.jpg

DSC05878_zpsb901ab39.jpg

6c90e123-e4bf-4b35-b8c3-d4dc0fc7fe8d_zps

DSC00192_zps83a18e50.jpg

DSC00165_zpsaea8472b.jpg

DSC09034_zps574bb62f.jpg

The male is actually holding a fresh batch of eggs in this pic

DSC07736_zpsd39a947e.jpg

A freshly hatched fry, less then a week old in this pic. The male keeps them at the surface and quickly gathers them up if you approach .

DSC07768_zpsf835224d.jpg

Some of my CB Juvies :

photo1_zpsdf86e5a6.jpg

photo3_zps913488e2.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous!! Hats off to your time and dedication to the Chana family as these are ALL remarkable, healthy, and beautifil specimens!! Excellent work and thanks for sharing : D!

Thanks & you are correct , there are bans on all channa In Ontario, Quebec, BC and alberta .

I do have 5 bleheri in My collection as well though so I'll show them off next lol

Hopefully the dominate pair will breed this spring

DSC07240_zpsd671194e.jpg

DSC06443_zpsc2a79a43.jpg

0796967b-32a7-4a91-b910-e0e98ebb0422_zps

Those are pics from last year , ill try to get new ones this week as they group is quite split some are very dark blues , but a couple devoloped to look like what is now being traded as blerhi sp. "chocolate" or "flame fin". Basically a higher red bleheri with thick red trim on the fins.

Edited by DevonC

Question, did you import them yourself or purchase through a fs?

they all were brought in through diffrent shops some local some out west before bans took hold . None of which can get them any more :(.

There is no easy way to get channa between the bans and their seasonal availability it's more like a constant search for new species and I jump on them when I can!

I have debated importing some myself a couple times but between hitting the minimum orders , shipping expenses from overseas and the potential for doa's you have to worry about with any freshly imported wild caught fish it typically works out too be too expensive to be worth while .

I do have a couple contacts left that I know could get new species for me by piggybacking on their imports but they are some of the more pricey suppliers and with the low canadian dollar im not in a rush to jump into it. I might this spring of next fall though when the season rolls around for some of the species I want.

Edited by DevonC