Hardy Water Liliy--Cold Room Not So Cold

Starburst

My pond is raised, so I tried overwintering my water lily in a bucket of water under my basement stairs, but with the weather so mild, my little cold room hasn't been cold, and the lily has woken up--its sending out shoots. Any thoughts on what to do with it now? Will it survive until spring if I put it in the aquarium with the goldfish?
thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it. They can do that under ice too. If you keep them dark and wet they will be fine. Just trim all of the winter growth off when you place it back into the pond in spring. I use to bring mine in too, but now I keep them in the pond.

I dug mine out when it wasn't doing so well (one tiny leaf and tiny bulb) and kept it in a 20 gal for probably 6 months under 2 bulbs in pic. I think they are T5 hydroponics lights. Lily did fine but not huge leaves. It became like a small-sized-tank-lily You can see it in the back in my profile pic.

We moved it into the pond after and it was doing great! Huge leaves and all.

Personally I think the leaf pads were healthier outside under sunlight. Greener and thicker with better (more terrible, less pristine) water.

post-6823-0-71679200-1456964675_thumb.jpg

Edited by elf_poop

I keep mine in the pond over winter as well and they have came back for the last 5 years. Might be easier for you in the future.

The pond is completely above ground, so it would freeze solid, top to bottom. I left it in its bucket under the stairs, and its still sending up shoots and leaves, looks like some earlier leaves have rotted off, maybe. Considering putting it in the aquarium for now...

• 4 weeks later...

I keep mine in the pond over winter as well and they have came back for the last 5 years. Might be easier for you in the future.

The pond is completely above ground, so it would freeze solid, top to bottom. I left it in its bucket under the stairs, and its still sending up shoots and leaves, looks like some earlier leaves have rotted off, maybe. Considering putting it in the aquarium for now...

My pond is completely above ground too and stays ice - free most of the time. I run an air pump with 2 big sponge filters all winter and a small 750 watt floating de-icer.