Inexpensive Led Lighting

chlwong

not even close.

i wired up the entire 5m length, side by side with no space and did nothing against t5

it can be done of course but need to spend more cash on high power chips than a basic strip.

suggest to grab individual chips and wire them together seems like you'll get more power out of that than these types of strips.

not even close.

i wired up the entire 5m length, side by side with no space and did nothing against t5

it can be done of course but need to spend more cash on high power chips than a basic strip.

suggest to grab individual chips and wire them together seems like you'll get more power out of that than these types of strips.

Well, glad i didn't try the strip LEDs too. I was looking at videos about it...

I've also been looking at getting individual chips. This might be what i'm going with if i can't find anything good.

LED floodlights on ebay work decently. They don't LOOK nice though but they'll grow relatively undemanding plants fine. 10W would be fine on a nano probably.

For the LED floodlights, do you have one which you have used and would recommend?

not even close.

I've also been looking at getting individual chips. This might be what i'm going with if i can't find anything good.

LED floodlights on ebay work decently. They don't LOOK nice though but they'll grow relatively undemanding plants fine. 10W would be fine on a nano probably.

For the LED floodlights, do you have one which you have used and would recommend?

Nah. I've bought a few off ebay and they're okay. Nothing great. I wouldn't really recommend them because they won't make your tank look nice but the light itself is relatively powerful for the price. I've had about a 40% failure rate in the first year, but they're pretty cheap so expectations have to be low haha. The ones I have look like this:Flood-Light-10w.jpg

not even close.

Nah. I've bought a few off ebay and they're okay. Nothing great. I wouldn't really recommend them because they won't make your tank look nice but the light itself is relatively powerful for the price. I've had about a 40% failure rate in the first year, but they're pretty cheap so expectations have to be low haha. The ones I have look like this:Flood-Light-10w.jpg

Interesting. I'll take a look around.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The hydroponics community is also using LED lighting to grow their plants, including some that only give of in the blue and red parts of the spectrum that plants use for photosynthesis (but that only helps if you like everything to look purple). I think they also use "daylight" LEDs that may have the power you need. I think some of the bulbs were selling for $35 or so. Normal LED bulbs for use in the house sell for less than $5 for a 5 watt bulb (60 incandescent equivalent, but to my eyes they look brighter than that). There are 100 watt incandescent equivalents as well if you need more power.

Bart

• 3 months later...