Start Up

wolfbird_94

Hello,

I'm going to be buying a bare bones aquarium at the end of the month. And I'm wanting to look into other equipment to go with it. I know it depends on what I want to put in there. which I don't quite know yet. So far Plants. I know I will be having Fish.

What do you guys suggest.

Definitely need some WATER!!

I read somewhere water is definitely required

For plants. Opinions will very on depth of substrate and type of substrate. Lots of plant gurus on here.

Fish will vary on what you like and size of tank.

MTS will hit at some point ..you have been warned. I started with a 36 gallon bow...now got around 1000gallons of water in 9 tanks.

Definitely need some WATER!!

I read somewhere water is definitely required

For plants. Opinions will very on depth of substrate and type of substrate. Lots of plant gurus on here.

Fish will vary on what you like and size of tank.

MTS will hit at some point ..you have been warned. I started with a 36 gallon bow...now got around 1000gallons of water in 9 tanks.

lol!

Okay what is the best Substrate?

Its a 10 gallon I will be buying.

Fish/tanks are like potato chips....

Hi,

There are lots of options for substrate, kinda depends on what you want to do with the tank. For a planted tank I prefer the Ada products, Eco complete is another one i've had success with. Some people will swear by Dirted tanks. Stay away from anything that has no nutrients in it if you want plants, other wise they are likely to die with out super heavy fertilization of the water column.

Can I add that Fluval stratum for planted or shrimps is nice too?

Any of the common nutrient gravels can be used. Personally the Flourite brand I find better long term than the 'soil' type substrates like ada and stratum. It's more stable in the water over a period of time as well as it won't spike the water as other 'soil type' substrates.

• 5 weeks later...

Pick up a bag of flourite or eco complete if you're just doing simple plants. ADA is great but if you disturb the substrate the Amazonia stuff will cause an ammonia spike in your water.

Tap water is fine if you're using city water. Use Prime as a conditioner.

Pick up a good plant growing light. Fluval has a few plant light LED models that would work for your needs. If you don't want to go the LED route then go with a simple T5 light fixture and change the bulb to one around 6700K spectrum.

Pick up a good set of small scissors and tweezers from the dollar store (or drug store) for trimming and planting. It'll make your life easier. Don't overpay on the name brand stuff.

If you want a nice variety of plants check our Angelfins or ThePlantGuy online. They both ship in Canada and have a very nice variety at a good price.