D.i.y Aquarium Island/turtle Dock For Turtles

Luan_Nguyen

I just built a simple project which is a floating island used as a dock for turtles.
I used all real moss and plants and I also made a cottage, camp fire and canoe from popsicle and bamboo sticks. Feel free to leave your comments. Thanks all.

Make sure your speakers are muted :)

island3.jpg

island2.jpg

island1.jpg

Thank you for your funny comment, Joel :lol: . The smoking you saw was actually the steam coming out from the ultrasonic humidifier. Because I used real moss, I purchased a humidifier to keep the moss moist and cool.

Awesome! How is the fire smoking? Were you just smoking a cigerette while you filmed? Haha. Either way I love it! Crays might hop the glass now though.

This is neat, the shrimp climbing on the moss freaked me out for a moment ha.

Can you link to the humidifier you used? Also - what did you use to make the floating 'sandy' part? I'd be curious to see build pictures if you don't mind?

Edited by Iceturf

Hi Iceturf, unfortunately I didn't take any picture while making the island because it was quite an easy D.I.Y project.

If you're interested, I will make a YouTube video how to make the island once I have the time. For now I will try to answer your questions as clear as I can.

I purchased the Star Wars ultrasonic humidifier (large size) from Bed Bath and Beyond (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/star-wars-trade-ultrasonic-r2-d2-humidifier/219054?Keyword=ultrasonic+humidifier )

For the floating sandy part, I used two pieces of foam and glued them together. I also trim around to the foam make it look like an island. In the centre, I cut a hole for the plants and later on I used moss to cover all the soil. I also applied aquarium safe silicone and then put white sand on it and waited for everything to dry.

Sorry If I did not provide clear instructions but I will post a video of how to make it in the future. I believe anyone can make a better looking island the mine because it's quite easy.

This is neat, the shrimp climbing on the moss freaked me out for a moment ha.

Can you link to the humidifier you used? Also - what did you use to make the floating 'sandy' part? I'd be curious to see build pictures if you don't mind?

I believe there are many different kind of ultrasonic humidifiers for sale in Canada, so you have many other great options. For example this one is not only cheaper, but it also works well because all you need is connect an air pump hose to it . Keep in mind that if the hose is too small and long, the steam might get clogged .

air-o-swiss-ultrasonic-humidifier.jpeg

The reason I used my Star Wars humidifier was because I already had it before I built the island, so I didn't want to spend money purchase another one. In order for it to work, I had to cut a aquarium vacuum hose about 6 inches long and connected to the Star Wars humidifier, then I used another smaller hose (air pump) to connect it to the bigger hose.

I think it makes sense! I'm not sure how you got the humidifier to fit, but I think I understand your approach to everything else. Thanks for the explanation.