African Cichlids Keep Dying, 1 Per Month, No More No Less

t3ch

Hi everyone,

So i'm having some issues... 6 months ago I went from a regular shift schedule to working in the field 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and with that came a fish problem... Every 2 weeks i'm no, usually 4-5 days in my shift my girlfriend tells me a fish died, every shift it's the same story, and when i'm there everything is fine, no fish die and they all seem fine,I even got about 30 babies from my couple of red shoulder peacocks, my babies are in a 25 gallon and are still doing fine, then I leave and again 4-5 days in 1 fish dies, I think it's the 5th one now. Water seems fine, ammonia is at 0, nitrite and nitrates are 0 as well, it's a 135 gallon fish thank and my angels fish and roseline sharks in my 55 gallons are fine and never had any issues. Any ideas? This is getting frustrating and the girlfriend is starting to feel responsible for their death.

So yeah the setup is a 135 gallons with 2 filters, 1xfluval 405 and 1x fluval 406, 2 power heads and a big air pump with 2 bubble curtains.

post-6865-0-46147000-1461023637_thumb.jpg

Overfeeding? Under feeding? Causing territory stress battles?

WC schedule change when you away?

Grasping I know but it has too be something that you do by habit and maybe girlfriend doesn't.

Try setting up premade portions of food to feed this tank. I had to do this or my gf would do major overfeeding.

Weird only this tank also... something simple I'd guess.

I also though it was over feeding or under feeding but she carefully looked at how much I was feeding them and I looked at her feeding them and she gives the same amount. The water change schedule is basically I do one the last day i'm home and one the first day i'm home so that's one every 2 weeks but I do 30% change. But yeah weird it's only this tank, in my 55 have has no fish death in the whole 2 years i've had it, my angel fish are doing great they lay eggs every 2 weeks if only they would stop eating them... I have no space to put the eggs as my 25 gallon has 30 red shoulder peacocks now.

Also the water must not be that bad if they are breading...

How many fish you have there? I have 90G with about 29 fish there 2-AC110 and 406 and change 50G of the water consistently with markings on the aquarium and they still messy. I used to feed them twice a day but since not at home for a week they only feed them once with 1 teaspoon of food(got a plastic measuring spoon).