Ubiquitous Algae

FunkSolid

After pouring a glass of water, I noticed this nice green blanket on the bottom of my Brita. If controlling Algae in my tanks is not enough work, I need to do it in my drinking water containers. I guess its everywhere and can even evade Chlorination in our water supply!

post-6897-0-84733300-1461535939_thumb.jpg

Brita filter runs carbon right? That should be removing chlorine, chloramine,fluoride. So the water in there probably isn't going to be killing any algae. Just clean out that sucker once a week.

My curiosity is how the algae survives the water treatment plant, and then its exposure to chlorine before it goes into my Brita.

I do maintenance for a municipal pool. When we fill the pool after the annual shutdown it always has a green tinge to it from all the algae and other contaminants in the domestic water system. Takes a couple days of superchlorination and the filters to clear out.

Have some fun, get a microscope and check out your tap water. You'll be thankful that your using at least the brita.

AA

I do maintenance for a municipal pool. When we fill the pool after the annual shutdown it always has a green tinge to it from all the algae and other contaminants in the domestic water system. Takes a couple days of superchlorination and the filters to clear out.

Have some fun, get a microscope and check out your tap water. You'll be thankful that your using at least the brita.

AA

Am I correct to assume this pool is an outdoor one because of the annual shut down? And do you know what the Chlorine concentration is when you shock it?

AA

Am I correct to assume this pool is an outdoor one because of the annual shut down? And do you know what the Chlorine concentration is when you shock it?

Nope they are all indoor pools. We do 2 week shutdowns for maintenance purposes.

The concentration depends entirely on the chloramine levels in the domestic supply. There's been years where we've gone as high as 30ppm.