Raising The Temp

maligne

I have read that raising the temperature on my tank may help to get my fish interested in breeding. Should I turn it down first and then raise it back up. should it be a slow change or should it be rather sudden? What are your thoughts?

I always just do a big WC with much cooler water. A 10F drop isn't too much

I had some plecos that were never bred in North America before and I drain 50%+ then fill it back up w. RO right from the tap (just cold) and it didn't hurt them.... I tried several times over the course of a couple years before giving up. Of course, the guy I sold then to had them spawning w/in a few months...

Sweet, My acaras try to spawn on a regular basis but they just cant seem to get the job done. I'm pretty sure one is male and one is female but maybe they are both males and they are just confused. in any case Ill give this a try

• 1 month later...

I usually fatten my fish up with blood worms and brine shrimp. I've done this for my GBR.

I usually feed a couple of NLS pellets in the morning, then 8 hours later a sprinkle of flakes, then a couple of frozen BWs or a few frozen BS in the evening/bedtime. The shortest time they've spawned was within 8-9 days. I think was I changing the water 20% every other day (yes, they were being fed a lot with a variety of food at the time). Mostly they spawn 10-14 days with twice weekly 30% W/Cs. I do try to add cooler water because I heard adding warmer water creates tiny air bubbles that are bad for fish. And once they're well-fed and feel clean, they spawn within 36-48 hours.

I raise the temp slowly after eggs are fertile.

Edited by elf_poop