Mbuna Advice Needed

FunkSolid

Hi friends I would like to draw on your wisdom and experience again.

I’m setting up a 6’-140G tank in early August, and want it to be a Mbuna tank. I have a weird colorblindness (mild protanomaly) which gives me an affinity for super blue fish.

Notes:

- Sand substrate with big rocks for scaping

- Filters will be established and good to handle influx of bio load

- Fish purchased will probably be in the 1.5-2” range

I’m leaning to S. demasoni and think their colors are wicked awesome. I also like the idea of their limited sexual dimorphism, I think it would look cool. I can get these here in town (Hi Harold), but my reading about their temperament and conspecific aggression has me a bit nervous. I also want some P. saulosi, but can’t find them anywhere. Not even Mr. Spencer Jack.

How would you setup and stock this tank to quell the potential aquatic Game Of Thrones?

Thanks in advance

I would start with young fish and more than I think will fit. Keeping them crowded will limit bullying on any one specific fish. Ideally, your gender ratios will be something like 1M/3F. Ps. saulosi seem to be seasonal on lists - sometimes EVERYONE has them, other times it's like they're the most rare mbuna on the planet! If you can't wait, try some of the different zebras (Metriclima spp.) - they'll get to a similar size as the demasoni, too.

If you go through my journal, you'll see how I've set up some mbuna tanks. I like to stack rockwork almost all the way to the top of the tank. When stacking, try to set rocks so that they don't shift or rock before adding another on top of it. This will prevent collapse. And put the bottom row right on the bottom of the tank (a layer of eggcrate is often used to keep the rocks off the glass), not on the sand, as your fish will dig.

Thanks Jason, what do you think for stocking numbers in total for the 140 if I get all Demasoni ish sized Mbunas? If I need to ship some in, I will want to buy them all at once.

Edited by FunkSolid

I'd start w. at least 12, but if you have enough rock work and filtration you could probably go up to 30. If you want to add as you go, it's best to add new fish right before lights out and rearrange the decor so that when the lights come on in the morning, everyone is in a new home.

• 3 weeks later...