Congo Tetras - Too Shy?

elf_poop

I read that they need to be the dominant fish in the tank to feel comfortable.

Can someone confirm compatibility with large angelfish, 10+ roseline barbs, small clown loaches, one 7" black ghost knife fish?

I have a feeling that it won't work out.

I have mine with rose lines, rainbows and loaches. They are quite comparable and very active. May spook the knife fish if it doesn't have enough cover. The Angels may also be unhappy with the activity at spawning times as they are very fast and the males displaying very boisterous.

I find that 7 is the minimum you would want.

J

Edited by geleen

• 3 weeks later...

I have 7 congos and their scientific name suits them Phenacogrammus Interuptus suits them them very well. Very active fishes in my tank. They seem to behave very well in my tank with other fishes.

5 cherry barbs

8 neon tetras

6 harlequin rasboras

1 betta

2 orange tiger platties

2 siamese algae eaters

3 cherry shrimp

They occasionally chase the odd tetra,barb,rasbora but do not act aggressive to the other fishes in the tank.

Small tank mates shrimp,frogs,fish may get into trouble if the get in the way at feeding time as the congoes are very quick to the dinner table. And may accidentally grab small tank mates by mistake, They will also steal food from each other and other fishes if it not eaten quickly.

I try to distract them at one end of the tank and send other food to the bottom of the other end of the tank before they notice so that the smaller slower eaters get a chance at some food.

They do not have a favorite level in the tank that the other fish tend to stay at IE: neon tetra stay near the bottom areas, rasboras school 1/3 from the top of the tank above the plants, So the congoes tend to be party crashers are curious and are always in search of food or displaying with each other.

I love them as they are ALWAYS ACTIVE, And this may be a problem for nocturnal, shy or slow eating fish,

David

Edited by pipejax