Cleaning The Substrate In A Planted Tank.

pipejax

What methods are people using to remove the debris from the bottom of their planted tanks. I have found it difficult to navigate my vac tube around the plants to clean the gravel. I have resorted to agitating the water in the tank by hand and am thinking of using a long thin tube with a small powerhead attached to blow the junk off the bottom while doing my water changes and allowing the filter to pick up as much as it can when i am doing maintenance. Anyone else do it this way?

David

Learning along the way

Possible to give a pic of your substrate? As with many other things people have different perceptions on ideas. One nice planted tank which is roughly 3 years old, I have not ((ever)) gravel vac'd. Another larger tank I would do it roughly 2 or 3 times a year. The idea of removing material from the substrate in some ways goes against a great planted tank as that removed material within the substrate provides free nutrients. If there is debris on the surface of the substrate that has collected then I would always suggest for that to be removed. If people do want to gravel vac on a planted tank I would suggest to only hold the vac above the substrate surface to collect only that suspended material and never to put the gravel vac down into the substrate. Again your removing that free nutrient as well as cutting up root with a huge knife.

Of course the above should be taken as being general...there are conditions that I would suggest to remove as much mulm/detritus as much as possible within the substrate however there are different reasons if that is suggested.

If you had questions I'm happy to offer help.

Heres what I do, pretty much the same as ckmullin.

I generally skim the surface of the substrate with a gravel vacuum, not picking up gravel, just whatever is on top. I'll hit a few spots beside driftwood/rock where a lot of debris accumulates. Generally I don't disturb the tank to much, mostly getting the stuff thats visible in the foreground. If you have carpeting plants or moss thats established and well attached you can gently press your vacuum into them. I spend maybe 5-7 mins with the water vacuum, then I use a small pump for the rest of the water change.

Thanks for the replies :). I had been treating my fish more like pets (overfeeding) Then i tested the water and found that my phosphates were alarmingly high. I stopped feeding them twice a day and now give them just enough that some get something for the day. I have been doing this for about 2 weeks and my phosphate tests are optimal. I had bought a rather large mouthed gravel vac that was ridiculously hard to use around the plants. Agitating the water by hand and letting the filter suck up the excess junk in the water works pretty good. All is good.

Thanks again

David