Ideal Tropheus Diet?

FunkSolid

I have spent a few days using the search tool, and reading the sticky threads on diet, nutrition, and all that. I am hoping we could take this perpetual debate into 2016, and also into the context of what is currently available. For example I have read a lot about this elusive "Dianichi" food, but after 5 phone calls, I cant find a store that carries it here in YYC.

What do you feed your Tropheus and why?

Thanks!

I feed them NLS and occasionally live daphnia and glassworms when in season. Stay away from that Rapasy super food stuff.

Edited by JORG

NLS Cichlid is great. I tried NorthFin Veggie, but their colors tanked w/in a couple weeks - they loved the stuff, but it ruined their colors. I also ran a can of NLS Algae Max through them, and they gobbled it up and looked awesome! They also LOVE snails... kept the population of MTS and Ramshorns down when I had them... when I moved the Trophs, the snail population took off until the Synos got a bit bigger and now keep them in check.

I don't have tropheus now but I have had them a couple of times. I used NLS exclusively with great results.

On the subject of NorthFin I tried it this spring on my African cichlids and I have not noticed a difference for the better nor for the worse so I am now using a combination of it and NLS.

Edited by punman

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, NLS would be my first choice for tropheus.

Having said that, I have experimented with NF for the past 1.5 years, and have not seen any reduction in color, in any of the various species of cichlids, or non cichlids that I have trialed it on. I have only fed the Cichlid, and Jumbo formulas. Fish seem as healthy, and colorful, as fed on NLS. (when feeding either/or exclusively for several months) IMO it is a high quality food. Personally I would not waste my money on Dainichi.

Jorg, what formula of NF were you feeding your grow outs?

Edited by RD.

It was the small grow size in large bag . Can't remember if it had specific name , Harold brought it over. It affects the red colours the blues and yellows seem fine but it seems to take quite a bit longer for the colors to develop in young fish. Harold noticed the affect on the red colors also if I remember right.

Edited by JORG

Ok, thanks. Odd as I don't think the formula is any different than the formulas I have used. Perhaps it affects young fish, more so than adults? The only thing I noticed with the small pellet size (1mm Cichld formula)was that it made my water a little cloudy, even when feeding small amounts, in a large tank with mega filtration. I also noted that NF sizes are much smaller than the identical mm sizes of NLS.